The Big Quiz of the School Year
The Big Quiz of the School Year
1. Appointed in September 2012, Francis Deng was South Sudan's first what?
- Prime Minister
- Ambassador to the United Nations
- Ambassador to the United Kingdom
2. Which Grand Slam win is British tennis player Andy Murray celebrating here?
3. Nasa's Mars rover revealed the first clear evidence of past flowing water on Mars in September 2012. But what is the rover's name?
4.Which of these pictures – secretly moved for restoration in September 2012 – is also known as the most frequently stolen artwork in history
5. Who was named the world's best dressed woman in September 2012 by People magazine?
- Gwyneth Paltrow
- The Duchess of Cambridge
- Anne Hathaway
1. Which South American country was this man elected leader of for a fourth term in October 2012?
2. Which organisation won the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize for "for over six decades [having] contributed to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe"?
- The European Union
- The United Nations
3. Felix Baumgartner broke three world records during this historic space jump in October 2012. What nationality is he?
4. Hilary Mantel won the 2012 Booker Prize for her novel Bring Up the Bodies, the sequel to Wolf Hall, both of which are set in the Tudor court of Henry VIII. Who is the main character in those two books?
- Thomas Cromwell
- Thomas More
- Thomas Wolsey
- Thomas Howard
5. The James Bond film Skyfall was released in October 2012. What milestone did the 007 franchise mark in the same year?
1. Mitt Romney suffered defeat at the polls after his campaign to become president of the United States was derailed by a number of gaffes. Which of these phrases was not uttered by Governor Romney during his political career?
- "Binders full of women"
- "Corporations are people, my friend"
- "I'm not concerned about the very poor"
- "Three proud words: Made in the USA"
2. American politics dominated the headlines in November 2012. In addition to Barack Obama beating Republican challenger Mitt Romney to retain the presidency, which US territory voted in favour of becoming an official state?
- Puerto Rico
- The Virgin Islands
- American Samoa
3. This martial arts star announced in November 2012 that his next action film would be his last. What is his name?
4. Psy's hit tune Gangnam Style became the most watched video in YouTube history in November 2012. In which country is Gangnam located?
1. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge announced in December 2012 that they were expecting their first child. The baby, Prince George of Cambridge, was born in July 2013. Where is Prince George in the line of succession to the British throne?
- Second in line
- Third in line
- Fourth in line
- Fifth in line
2. @Pontifex – aka Pope Benedict XVI – sent his first tweet in December 2012. But what was it?
- Dear young people, the Church expects great things of you and your generosity. Don't be afraid to aim high.
- Dear friends, I am pleased to get in touch with you through Twitter. Thank you for your generous response. I bless all of you from my heart.
- Are we ready to be Christians full-time, showing our commitment by word and deed?
- Christians are ready to proclaim the Gospel because they can't hide the joy that comes from knowing Christ.
3. True or False: in December 2012, Nasa scientists released a feasibility report outlining plans to capture an asteroid and turn it into a space station for astronauts en route to Mars.
4. The starting point of the 2014 Tour de France was announced in December 2012. Where is it?
5. The Large Hadron Collider at Cern was used for the last time in December 2012 – it shut in February 2013 for essential renovations. In what year will it reopen?
1. American football player Ray Lewis announced that he would be retiring at the end of the current NFL season. At which team did he spend the entirety of his career?
- Cincinnati Bengals
- Seattle Seahawks
- Baltimore Ravens
- Chicago Bears
2. In January 2013, the Republic of Ireland's Food Safety Authority gave the first warning that the DNA of which animal had been found in beef burgers?
3. Former cyclist Lance Armstrong admitted in January 2013 to using banned substances to enhance his performance during all of his seven Tour de France wins. In which year did Armstrong achieve his first Tour de France title?
4. North Korea performed a long-range nuclear missile test in January 2013. Which country did it say would be its primary target for such weapons?
- South Korea
5. In January 2013, Queen Beatrix announced her abdication in favour of her son Willem-Alexander. Of which country was she the monarch?
1. In which odd location was this former British monarch found?
- In a wall
- Under a car park
- Under some stairs
- In a farmer's field
2. Who won the Song of the Year award at the Grammys in February 2013?
- Fun (for We Are Young)
- Ed Sheeran (for The A Team)
- Kelly Clarkson (for Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You))
- Carly Rae Jepson (for Call Me Maybe)
3. Which classic children's novel was recently re-released with this cover?
4. The Golden Raspberry Awards, celebrating the worst in Hollywood film making, was held in February 2013 on the night before the annual Academy Awards. Which film won worst picture?
- That's My Boy
- Twilight: Breaking Dawn – Part 2
- Piranha 3DD
5. Bradley Manning pled guilty in February 2013 to 10 counts out of 22 against him for leaking classified material to which organisation?
- Hackers 'R' Us
1. What is the name of the dog that won Best in Show at Crufts in March 2013?
- Noways Chuckles
- Choo-tai of Egham
- Burtonswood Bossy Boots
- Soletrader Peek A Boo
2. The Roman Catholic Church got a new leader – Pope Francis – in March 2013 following two days of voting by cardinals. What nationality was Pope Francis originally?
3. Which European landmark was evacuated after a hoax bomb threat was phoned in to the authorities in March 2013?
4. Which British university won the 2013 Boat Race: Oxford or Cambridge?
5. This monkey was seized by German customs in March 2013. Who was its celebrity owner?
1. Who was honoured in April 2013 as the "most memorable Bond girl" by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts?
- Honor Blackman
- Queen Elizabeth II
- Halle Berry
- Eva Green
2. Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher died in April 2013. Of which party was she the leader?
3. Why was Luis Suarez, a Liverpool football player, charged with violent conduct by England's Football Association in April 2013?
4. Who lived on $1.50 for a week in April 2013 to highlight the plight of those living below the poverty line?
- Ben Affleck
- Matt Damon
- George Clooney
- Brad Pitt
5. Cern restored the world's first ever website in April 2013 to mark an important anniversary in the history of the World Wide Web. Which anniversary did the restoration mark?
1. Which iconic British sportsman announced his retirement in May 2013?
- Sir Chris Hoy
- Michael Owen
- David Beckham
- Phil "the Power" Taylor
2. True or False: The last two rhinoceroses left in the wild in Mozambique were killed by poachers in May 2013.
3. British politician Nadine Dorries was allowed to rejoin her parliamentary party in May 2013. Why had she been suspended?
- There were irregularities in her expenses
- For making defamatory statements in the House of Commons
- For starting a fight in the bar of the Houses of Parliament
- For appearing on a reality television show
4. Which Hollywood A-lister announced in May 2013 that she had undergone a double mastectomy to reduce her risk of breast cancer?
- Renee Zellwegger
- Angelina Jolie
- Meryl Streep
- Kate Winslet
5. Commander Chris Hadfield became an internet sensation during his time in space. What nationality is he?
1. Giant panda Haizi gave birth to twin cubs in June 2013. What does her name mean?
2. Actor Matt Smith announced in June 2013 that he would be leaving the long-running sci-fi series Doctor Who. Which incarnation of the Doctor did he portray?
3. The Tony Awards, which celebrates achievement in Broadway theatre, were held in June 2013. Which show took home the biggest haul of awards?
- Kinky Boots
- Bring It On: The Musical
4. Kim Kardashian gave birth to a baby girl in June 2013. What name did Ms Kardashian and the father, rapper Kanye West, give to their newborn child?
5. A man was arrested in England for defacing John Constable's painting The Hay Wain in June 2013. With which protest group was the man affiliated?
- Fathers 4 Justice
- UK Uncut
1. Mohammed Morsi was removed from power after only a year in charge of which country?
2. This is the flag of the country that became the 28th member of the European Union in July 2013. Which country's flag is it?
3. In July, Andy Murray became the first British male singles champion in 77 years. Who was the last British person to win a senior Wimbledon title?
- Virginia Wade
- Fred Perry
- Jamie Murray
- Jonathan Marray
4. The cricket contest between England and Australia known as The Ashes began in July 2013. When was the series first played?
5. J.K. Rowling – author of the popular Harry Potter series of novels – was unmasked as the real writer behind a new crime novel. What pen name had she used to try and escape attention?
- James Robertson
- H.J. McDorrid
- Patrick Murchieson
- Robert Galbraith