Considering the move from England to Wales?


All teacher training options that lead to qualified teacher status (QTS) in England are also accepted in Wales, with two important exceptions:

  • Although overseas trained teachers from Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the USA can apply to be recognised as qualified teachers in England, they cannot in Wales.
  • Likewise, while further education teachers who have been awarded QTLS by the Institute for Learning (IfL) and are members of the IfL are recognised as qualified teachers in schools in England, they are not in Wales.

Newly Qualified Teachers (NQTs) in Wales now have the opportunity to follow a masters programme alongside their induction and early professional development.

The Masters in Educational Practice, which is fully funded by the Welsh Government, is practice-based programme designed to enhance and support the teaching practice and professional development of NQTs.
For more information visit the Welsh Government’s Learning Wales website.


All teachers working in maintained schools in Wales, whether full-time, part-time or supply, must register with the General Teaching Council for Wales (GTCW).

This is a legal requirement that must be fulfilled before commencing employment. Maintained schools that employ unregistered teachers are breaking the law.

The annual registration fee is currently set at £45, of which £33 will be reimbursed through the teachers’ pay settlement.

There is no guarantee that you will automatically be allowed to teach in Wales. The GTCW considers each registration application individually.

The process can take up to six weeks.

See the GTCW website for more details.

Other requirements

All teachers working in the maintained sector must also be checked with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), previously known as a CRB check, for which there is a one-off fee of £44. There is now also an option to join an automatically-updated service for an annual subscription fee of £13. This will be arranged through the GTCW registration application process.

Independent schools

Teachers working in independent schools in Wales are not required to register with the GTCW, although some schools may insist upon it.

Independent schools are subject to the same official inspections as state schools, from the Welsh inspectorate Estyn.

The Welsh Independent Schools Council is the representative body for independent schools in Wales.

Read more on teaching in Wales

Teaching and Qualifications
A detailed guide to who can teach in Wales, produced by the Welsh Government

The differences between teaching in England and Wales
Check out our ‘compare-and-contrast’ guide to Wales’ education system.

The teaching jobs market in Wales
The low-down on subject shortages and supply teaching.

TES Cymru forum
This is the place to go to discuss the issues facing education in Wales.

TES Cymru blog
Home to the latest news, views and comment about the Welsh education system, brought to you by the TES news team.

Browse teaching jobs in Wales