Dear John: I'm a teacher from India and wish to teach in the UK. Your advice?

I have just come from India on a settlement visa to join my husband here. I hold M.A., B.Ed. qualifications. I taught English in a school in India for over 6 years. Now I would love to teach students between the ages of 3-7 years in this country. Do I need to undergo further teaching training before I can start teaching here and, if so, how long will the courses take?


You need to be able to convert your current qualification to qualified teacher status, QTS. This can be achieved through an on the job course called the overseas teacher training, OTT route. You should find the answer to your questions and a telephone number for any further help if you visit the training and development agency website (they are the body responsible for teacher training) and specifically at the Training and Development Agency website


John Howson worked as a secondary school teacher in London for seven years before moving into teacher training and consultancy, including a brief period as a chief government advisor. John is now a recruitment analyst, visiting professor of education at Oxford Brookes University and hosts our Career Clinic where you can post questions to him.