Dear John: Will I need to retrain for secondary education?


I currently hold a lecturer (teaching only) post with more than 10 years experience in teaching biochemistry to (predominantly) first year students. I have a PGLTHE teaching qualification. Would this be valid for teaching in secondary education, or would I need to retrain & get a PGCE? Any advice would be welcome.


The PGLTHE would not by itself be valid. However, a tailor-made GTP programme might take into account aspects of the learning although as it is with adults it is not completely transferrable to the school sector.

Have you considered FE and specifically sixth form colleges where most of the work is at ‘A’ level. Unless you really enjoy teaching, you might find year 7 general science on a Friday afternoon not very academically challenging; although it might be challenging in other respects depending upon the school. Working with ‘A’ level students, your experience of first year university courses could be invaluable to any school.


John Howson worked as a secondary school teacher in London for seven years before moving into teacher trainingandconsultancy,including a brief period as a chief government advisor. John is now a recruitment analyst, visiting professorofeducation atOxfordBrookes University and hosts our Career Clinic where you can post questions to him.