Links to resources, events and reviews featured in TES this week - 14 December 2012
14 December 2012
Links to resources, events and reviews featured in TES this week
Key stage 1 - Let there be light…and toys
- Miss_wilson’s year one plan is packed with festive activities. It covers light and science, festivals of light and toys – perfect for the Christmas season.
Key stage 2 - Christmas everywhere
- Explore how Christmas is celebrated across the globe, try kirstynutton2003’s scheme of work.
Key stage 3 - Christian Christmas
- Explain what the festive season means to Christians, try this lesson pack from TES partner TrueTube.
Key stage 4 - A Christmas Carol
- Try S Oup’s GCSE resource pack to prepare pupils for an assessment on the seasonal tale.
Let’s get quizzical
Quizzes are a great way to end the term, try the TES quizzes collection and say farewell to the autumn term with a little competition.
Open University for schools
Measuring light with chocolate, how American English came to be and the seven wonders of the microbe world are just three of the topics covered in nearly 200 free teaching resources shared by the Open University.
The producers behind the new West End musical Charlie and the Chocolate Factory have created KS3 English resources based on the show.
Try the TES start of term collection for calendar activities, target setting and a wide range of behaviour tips, starters and plenary ideas – essential components for every teacher’s toolkit.
The classic card game is a classroom favourite. Check out fantastic Top Trumps resources shared by teachers on TES and register for the 2013 Top Trumps.
Assembly of the week: Ghosts of Christmas past
- Find out how our Victorian ancestors celebrated the season of good will with an assembly from HerbertLearning.
- For an assembly for every of the term, check out the TES assembly-a-day collection.
Top 10 It’s Christmas
Add a dash of seasonal cheer to your classroom, with these Christmas resources.
'If you have a novel idea for the classroom – or the solution to a knotty teaching problem - we'd love to hear about it.' Please email ideas to our Resources editor
Spotlight on… Christmas maths
TES maths adviser Craig Barton shares some of his favourite seasonal maths resources.
- Get nostalgic about childhood, with the TES toys from the past collection.
- Don’t be afraid of the cold, get children playing outdoors this winter with naturedetectives’ activities pack.
- Or, explore the cold season through art and poetry with theTES winter collection.
- Explore the life of a Christmas tree in a geography lesson from Healthy Planet’s.
- Create an Advent tree while raising awareness of poverty in Africa, with Send a Cow’s creative resources.