Links to resources, events and reviews featured in TES this week - 3 May 2013
3 May 2013
Links to resources, events and reviews featured in TES this week
Resources for Primary:
- Find out how to care for animals and to protect them from cruelty and mistreatment with TES’ special selection of lessons, activities and guides.
- A PowerPoint lesson looking at different pets and wild animals. Children must guess the animal based on the simple descriptions.
- Identify animals that live in the zoo helps to develop pupils' understanding of what a zoo is with these lesson activities from TES partner NgfLCymru.
- Take a look at lukeliamlion’s Images of animals on this Powerpoint to provide a stimulus for children to look at patterns in nature.
- A simple slideshow showing a range of animals and how they care for their babies. Suitable for use in the Foundation Stage.
- Find out more about the great African elephant with this illustrated lesson from May2.
- Find out all about wild animals – and hone children’s language skills - with this EAL worksheet from martuska.
- The old saying of "friend in need is a friend indeed" best describes the story of 'The lion and the Mouse', an unlikely alliance seen here in loopykidz’s video-based resource.
- Follow the story of the Dog of the Dolphin with pwillougby3’s video resource. Ideal for a starter activity or assembly.
- Teach children all about the rainforest and the importance of conservation with this rainforest role play activity from Nikkers.
- Learn about the rainforest today, the impact of deforestation and the plight of endangered species with an extensive scheme of work from paris0504.
- Help children understand the world around them by learning about the life cycle of a frog with toty’s PowerPoint-based resource.
Resources for Secondary:
- Get pupils to debate the issue of nuclear weapons and warfare with this prompting sheet from the Institute of Physic.
- Introduce your pupils to this documentary video covering the Cuban Missile Crisis and Bay of Pigs from TES partner Khan Academy.
- Take a look at human rights resources including lesson plans and case studies from TES partner Amnesty International.
- Refresh pupils’ knowledge of statistics and probability, and prepare them for their exams, with TES Maths adviser Craig Barton’s collection of revision notes.
- Help pupils Understand the history and politics of North Korea and the divide with South Korean with this extensive revision pack from cojoa.
- A PowerPoint-based lesson on the origins of the Cold War, the Berlin Airlift and its consequences, Korea, Vietnam, the Berlin Wall and everything in between.
- There has been a long history of conflict between communist and capitalist countries. Get students debating about the two systems with a guide from BiltonStilton.
- Introduce your class to the world of news reports with a PowerPoint activity from TES English.
- This lesson from EmmyCD looks at news values, why some stories are given more importance than others and how some stories are reported differently.
Top 10 lesson plans:
'If you have a novel idea for the classroom – or the solution to a knotty teaching problem - we'd love to hear about it.' Please email ideas to our Resources editor
Top 5 assemblies
- Bring a hint of Hogwarts’ witchcraft and wizardry into your school by showing pupils that science is magic with TES Science guru Alessio’s stage presentation. Demonstrate a series of magic tricks that are simple and easy to perform.
- Try Mike Stallard’s bespoke assembly of the week that re-works the story of the Good Samaritan and asks reflective questions, prompting pupils to consider: should you intervene?
- Celebrate Friendship Funday (20 May) with juliateachers’ PowerPoint and flashcards to help pupils think about what makes a good friend – and even to nominate and reward outstanding friendships.
- Take pupils on a journey to India and Nepal and introduce them to Buddhism with mhg’s illustrated PowerPoint assembly to mark the birth of Buddha on 17 May.
- What is balanced diet? How can we stay healthy? Teach children the importance of healthy eating in teachergina's