In the news - Breast cancer breakthrough
Breast cancer has traditionally been recognised as a single condition with three or four varieties, but research carried out by Cancer Research UK scientists has discovered that there are actually ten distinct types.
In the news this week
Breast cancer breakthrough
Scientists have made a breakthrough in understanding breast cancer that experts have said will have an enormous impact on the diagnosis and treatment of the disease. It was previously thought that breast cancer was a single condition with three or four varieties; however research carried out on British women by Cancer Research UK has discovered that there are actually ten distinct types. It is hoped that the findings of the study, which analysed the genetics of 2,000 tumours, will help doctors choose the most suitable treatments for patients, increasing the number of people whose lives are saved.
We've hand-picked some resources below to help you discuss this news story in your classroom.
- Help students understand what they can do to keep healthy and lower the risk of getting cancer with foodafactoflife's colourful PowerPoint.
- A video from the NowgenSchools Genomics Programme exploring the genetic and environmental factors affecting breast cancer.
- Get students analysing medical data and discussing the sociological effect of screenings with these resources from NGfLCymru.
- Types of cancer, statistics and treatments are all explained in this factual PowerPoint
Further news resources
- Help your pupils understand the features of the front page of a newspaper.
- Get students creating their own news report with this step-by-step guide
- A sociological and media perspective on what makes an event 'newsworthy'.
- Help pupils to write their own TV news broadcast with this handy PowerPoint.
- A scheme of work to help students structure news stories.
In the news this week
Discovery,one of Nasa's oldest space shuttles, made its final voyage this week to its new home at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, ending its 29 year space career.
North Korea's latest missile launch failed and raised concern in the West about the potential for any future coalition with the communist state.
The tragic death of Synchronised and According to Pete at the Grand National last weekend sparked debate about the treatment of racing horses.