In the news - Cargo boat rescue
Gale force nine winds drove a cargo boat into a concrete covered beach last night near Colwyn Bay, North Wales.
In the news this week
Cargo boat rescue
Gale-force winds drove a cargo boat on to a concrete-covered beach near Colwyn Bay, North Wales, on Tuesday night. The seven Polish crew members were rescued by a Royal Navy helicopter team, but there are now fears that the fuel tanks may have been compromised, leading to potential oil leaks. Take a look at the related resources to explore sea rescues, pollution and extreme weather.
- Help pupils to develop their own radio news reports of a sea rescue with this lesson from RNLIeducation.
- A comprehensive revision guide on air and water pollution from EnvSci.
- Help students to understand how to measure wind activity with this range of worksheets.
- Look at the potential effects of oil polution by using the 2010 Gulf of Mexico spill as a case study.
- From flash floods to hurricane-force winds, this video from GreenTV is a great stimulus for discussing the effects of extreme weather.