In the news - Flood alerts throughout Britain
Nearly 200 flood warnings and flood alerts have been issued across the UK by the Environmental Agency this week.
In the news
Flood alerts throughout Britain
Nearly 200 flood warnings and flood alerts have been issued across the UK by the Environmental Agency this week. The advice comes after the first recorded death as a result of the inclement weather: a 52-year-old man and his pet dog died at a ford in Newbury yesterday as flood waters swept his car down river. The recent rain fall has led to the wettest April on record and weather conditions over the next week are set to worsen. Warnings and alerts have been issued across southern and eastern England, the Midlands and Wales.
- A TES iboard interactive book about floods, global warming and damage prevention.
- Compare river flooding in the UK and Bangladesh with this colourful PowerPoint.
- Explore the social and environmental issues of flooding through this detailed case study.
- A pictorial presentation to get students discussing how to prevent floods through defences.
Further news resources
- Help your pupils understand the features of the front page of a newspaper.
- Get students creating their own news report with this step-by-step guide
- A sociological and media perspective on what makes an event 'newsworthy'.
- Help pupils to write their own TV news broadcast with this handy PowerPoint.
- A scheme of work to help students structure news stories.
In the news this week
The Australian federal government announced that koalas were to be designated a threatened species in 3 territories.
Former Liberian president Charles Taylor was found guilty of aiding and abetting war crimes and crimes against humanity in Sierra Leone at a special hearing last Thursday.
Britain is entering its first double-dip recession since 1975, bleak figures from the Office of National Statistics released this week have suggested.
Planetary Resources, backed by filmmaker James Cameron and Google executives, announced its plans to proceed with asteroid mining within the next 10 years.