In the news - French election
Francois Hollande will be France’s first Socialist president in 17 years, after winning the final round of the Presidential elections on Sunday.
In the news
Hollande is victorious in French elections
Francois Hollande will be France’s first Socialist president in 17 years, after winning the final round of the Presidential elections on Sunday. Hollande won 51.62% of the votes making incumbent President Nicolas Sarkozy the first French president not to win a second term since 1981. Power will be handed to the Socialist leader on 15 May.
Central to Hollande’s manifesto has been promises of more government spending and a 75 per cent income tax for the richest. His first foreign meeting will be with German Chancellor Angela Merkel, with whom he will discuss EU budgeting for the future.
- Introduce students to some of the key political ideologies of the modern world – a great springboard for revision or research.
- Help students design their own political party and campaign, in French with this election exercise.
- Detailed introduction to the Presidential elections and French political system.
- A quick vocabulary and knowledge test to see what students know about the French elections.
Further news resources
- Help your pupils understand the features of the front page of a newspaper.
- Get students creating their own news report with this step-by-step guide
- A sociological and media perspective on what makes an event 'newsworthy'.
- Help pupils to write their own TV news broadcast with this handy PowerPoint.
- A scheme of work to help students structure news stories.
In the news this week
The race for London mayor came to a close, with incumbent Boris Johnson looking likely to win a second term.
Rupert and James Murdoch exhibited "wilful blindness" over phone hacking at News International, according to a report by the Commons select committee for culture, media and sport.
Nearly 200 flood warnings and flood alerts have been issued across the UK by the Environmental Agency this week.
The Australian federal government announced that koalas were to be designated a threatened species in 3 territories.
First News Weekly News Bulletin, in association with Sky News, is a three minute round-up of the news every week - available every Wednesday. For previous weeks' bulletins, go to our First News website: www.firstnews.co.uk