News Quiz 2013: Spring Term
News Quiz 2013: Spring Term
Put your students' news knowledge to the test!
News quiz 2013 download for PowerPoint and Word
1. Which girl group reached number one in the UK charts for the first time in March?
a) Girls Aloud
b) The Saturdays
c) Little Mix
Bonus point: name the song and the other artist featured on it.
2. On 13 March, white smoke poured from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican. Why?
3. Guess the news story.
4. 19 March marked 10 years since which country was invaded by armed forces from the US, Great Britain and other nations?
5. Jennifer Lawrence was named best actress at the 2013 Oscars for her role in Silver Linings Playbook. But what accident befell her on the night?
6. On 5 February, the UK joined countries such as Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Iceland, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain and Sweden in passing a law recognising what type of marriage?
7. Guess the news story.
8. On 28 February, a US millionaire announced that he would organise a space mission for two people, who would share a capsule the size of a toilet cubicle for a year. Which planet would the pair circle?
9. A nine-year-old girl recently had a scientific discovery named after her: Vectidraco daisymorrisae. But what was it?
a) A previously unmapped island off the coast of Wales
b) A chemical found in the blood of some people
c) A previously unknown species of dinosaur
d) A new strain of a life-threatening respiratory disease
10. On 22 March, it was announced that the London Olympic Stadium would be leased to which sports club?
a) West Ham football club
b) Arsenal football club
c) London Broncos rugby club
d) British Gymnastics Association
11. Guess the news story.
12. Which natural phenomena caused residents of Tampa Bay, Florida, to flee their homes in February?
a) A plague of locusts
b) An electrical storm
c) An Earthquake
d) A sinkhole
13. Ready meals were recently pulled from the shelves of UK supermarkets. What caused the panic?
a) Pieces of plastic
b) Human hair
c) Horse meat
14. In February, South African Oscar Pistorius was charged with the murder of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp. Before this, what was Pistorius best known for?
15. On 7 March, more than 100 countries around the world celebrated an annual reading-themed event. What was it?
16. UK foreign secretary William Hague recently visited the Democratic Republic of the Congo as part of an international campaign against rape. Which high-profile figure accompanied him?
a) Miranda Hart
b) Victoria Beckham
c) Tony Blair
d) Angelina Jolie
17. What was recently banned from the cafeteria of an Essex school for causing injury?
18. What were shoppers in Brazil astonished to see in the middle of a busy high street on 16 March?
a) An upside down bus
b) A large elephant seal
c) A man dressed in a chicken suit
d) A tidal wave
19. What viral dance craze caused an Oxford librarian and a group of Australian miners to lose their jobs?
20. Nick D’Aloisio recently became a millionaire at the age of 17. How did he make his money?
a) He created an app which was bought by Yahoo
b) He won the UK lottery
c) He inherited the money from a previously unknown relative
d) He discovered a diamond while on a family holiday
1.) b – the Saturdays (bonus: What About Us, Sean Paul)
2.) Cardinals had elected a new pope.
3.) It was the coldest March in 50 years.
4.) a – Iraq
5.) She tripped and fell on her way to the stage
6.) Same sex marriage
7.) A meteor exploded over Russia
8.) d – Mars
9.) c – a previously unknown species of dinosaur
10.) a – West Ham football club
11.) Pi day is celebrated around the world
12.) d – A sinkhole
13.) c – Horse meat
14.) He was the first amputee to win an able-bodied world track medal
15.) World Book Day
16.) d – Angelina Jolie
17.) Triangular flapjacks
18.) b – A large elephant seal
19.) The Harlem Shake
20.) a – He created an app which was bought by Yahoo