In the news - United Nations in last-ditch attempt to prevent all-out war in Syria
The deaths of dozens of innocent civilians, including nearly 50 children, in the town of Houla last week has been condemned as an “outrageous use of force” by the United Nations Security Council.
In the news
United Nations in last-ditch attempt to prevent all-out war in Syria
The deaths of dozens of innocent civilians, including nearly 50 children, in the town of Houla last week has been condemned as an “outrageous use of force” by the United Nations Security Council. However the statement released by the council stopped short of blaming the casualties on military action by the government after objections from Russia, which claimed there was no evidence that Bashar al-Assad’s regime was directly responsible for the massacre. UN Secretary General Kofi Annan has flown into Damascus to try and salvage the six-point peace plan agreed in February of this year. Despite Mr Annan’s calls for all sides involved in the conflict to lay down their arms, there have been reports of further violence and casualties in the Syrian town of Hama today.
- Put your students in the position of world diplomats with this PowerPoint activity
- Explore the role of the United Nations in international peacekeeping
- This activity will help students get to grips with the UN’s purpose and history
- Discover examples of the beautiful writing that has emerged from some of the world’s ugliest conflicts.
Further news resources
- Help your pupils understand the features of the front page of a newspaper.
- Get students creating their own news report with this step-by-step guide
- A sociological and media perspective on what makes an event 'newsworthy'.
- Help pupils to write their own TV news broadcast with this handy PowerPoint.
- A scheme of work to help students structure news stories.
In the news this week
Sweden took the prize as 26 acts took to the stage for the 57th Eurovision Song Contest in Azerbaijan.
Childless women between the ages of 40 and 42 are to be given the option of having in vitro fertilisation treatments on the National Health Service for the first time.
Chelsea has become the fifth English club to lift the Champions League trophy after a victory on penalties over German side Bayern Munich.
MPs have asked for the sale of violent video games to be more closely monitored