Press release - UK Teachers now sharing over one million classroom resources every month on TES Connect
TSL Education announces over one million monthly downloads and over
12 million resources shared on the TES Connect online community since
its launch in August 2008. The TES Connect site has achieved a 500 per
cent growth in resource downloads and continues to change the lives of
teachers and their pupils with millions of resources being shared
every month through online collaboration.
UK Teachers now sharing over one million classroom resources every month on TES Connect
April 08, 2009
TSL Education announces over one million monthly downloads and over 12 million resources shared on the TES Connect online community since its launch in August 2008. The TES Connect site has achieved a 500 per cent growth in resource downloads and continues to change the lives of teachers and their pupils with millions of resources being shared every month through online collaboration.
The resource section of www.tes.co.uk is home to a vast library of teaching materials all created and uploaded by teachers from the TES community. With separate subject channels for every type of teacher from nursery through to post-16, there are all kinds of classroom materials including lesson plans, videos, PowerPoint presentations, games, puzzles, quizzes, worksheets and tutorials.
This incredible performance has seen resource visitor numbers grow at an annual rate of 540% since the launch, exceeding the most ambitious targets. This sets a new benchmark for user generated content and online collaborative tools within the education community.
The launch has enabled TES Connect to become the world's largest online professional network in any vertical market with over 700,000 registered users and more than 1.3 million monthly visitors .
Edward Griffith, Head of TES Connect comments: "All teachers have a passion for sharing knowledge, not just with their pupils but increasingly amongst themselves too. We are on the verge of a revolution in education; by giving teachers the tools to do this I genuinely believe teachers will achieve even more remarkable results. We now have the technology to help teachers teach and make their lives easier which ultimately has an important impact on the quality of our children's education."
TES Connect celebrates the skills, energy and creativity of teachers; it helps promote best practices, stimulates creation and sharing of the most creative teaching resources, and helps the whole teaching community share their best ideas, no matter what their discipline or where they teach.
At its heart, TES Connect draws its inspiration from other content networks like Flickr, professional networks like LinkedIn and the best of B2B editorial; it's a revolution for teachers, and for the way they teach. Never before has a suite of social networking technology and resource sharing tools been tailored and deployed to a profession with such success. Many of the site's functions: profiles, friend lists, private messaging, content sharing, social tools are tried and tested elsewhere but, within TES Connect, each and every one of them has been adapted for education.
TES Connect offers a revolution for pupils too. With its continued growth and success, many more will be taught the most interesting lessons, created by the very best teachers regardless of where they live or go to school.
Like many great ideas, TES Connect was born through listening to users: the TES team observed teachers sharing classroom resources in the site's forums in 2006. A prototype Resource Bank was launched soon after and, following a further 18 months of research, a completely redesigned TES Connect launched in August 2008. TES Connect builds on the prototype's success by deploying a suite of social networking and content sharing tools to the teaching community and thereby meeting a strong, proven need among teachers for better collaborative tools.
End user statements
- "Using the Resource Bank has invigorated me both professionally and personally." Deputy/Assistant headteacher, Primary School
- "Just browsing through the Resource Bank provides me with inspiration." Teacher, Independent Preparatory School
- "Using TES means we will be able to teach more effectively and have the tools necessary to do what we love." NQT/Trainee teacher, Primary School
- "By using the TES Resource Bank I save so much time thinking of ideas - it helps make my classroom a fun and vibrant place to be." Trainee Teacher/NQT, Primary School
Latest Press Releases
- Teachers TV videos are back with TES Resources
- Teaching community shares record number of classroom resources and ideas using TES Connect
- TSL announces the acquisition of Schoolquote
- TSL wins twice at the prestigious AOP Awards
- TES Connect nominated for Best Employment Site in the 13th annual Webby Awards
- UK Teachers now sharing over one million classroom resources every month on TES Connect
- Free school recruitment system from the TES
- TSL launches the TES Connect social networking website