Advice to help you get the most from TES Resources
How do I open files if I don't have the relevant software?
Some of the uploaded files will have been created for specific applications and interactive whiteboards. There are some viewers available, or alternatively there are limited trial versions that you can install.
- AU - AUs are audio files which can be opened in most Windows and Mac audio software including Apple QuickTime and Windows Media Player.
- DOCX, XLSX and PPTX - Microsoft has some online file convertors and viewers which allow you to open files created by different versions of Office. These files can also be opened in iWork, OpenOffice and Google Docs.
- ET - These files can be read on Easiteach Reader.
- FLP - Promethean. Flipchart viewers are available for Windows and Mac.
- NOTEBOOK, XBK - These files are created by SMART Notebook software. The SMART Notebook Interactive viewer is available for download on an open licence, allowing you to exchange Notebook files with any of your colleagues.
- PUB - These files can only be opened in Microsoft Publisher for Windows. No viewers are available but a 60 day free trial version of the software will enable you to open these files.
- RA - These are Real Audio files. A free download of RealPlayer is available.
- YAR - These files are unique to Hitachi's Starboard Interactive whiteboard. There is a free viewer for Windows available.
- SIB - These are Sibelius files. You can download Sibelius here
Can I change or edit my resource?
Yes you can. Click on My Resources, select the Edit button and make your changes. You can change your resource as often as you need.
What type of files can I share?
You can share any of the following files:
- Adobe Acrobat (.pdf)
- AVI video (.avi)
- Basic audio (.au)
- Bitmap image (.bmp)
- Easiteach (.et)
- GIF Image (.gif)
- HTML (.html, .htm)
- JPEG Image (.jpeg, .jpg)
- Microsoft Excel (.xls, xlsx)
- Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt, pptx)
- Microsoft Publisher (.pub)
- Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx)
- MP3 Audio (.mp3)
- MPEG Video (.mpeg, .mpe, .mpg)
- Portable Network Graphic (.png)
- Promethean (.flp / .flipchart)
- Quicktime Video (.mov, .qt)
- Rich Text (.rtf)
- Real Audio (.ra)
- Shockwave Flash (.swf)
- Smartboard (.xbk, .notebook)
- Starboard (.yar)
- Text Document (.txt)
- Windows Media Audio (.wma)
- Windows Media Video (.wmv)
- XML (.xml)
- Sibelius (.sib)
Can I add a third party web address to resources
You can share a great website that you have come across with other users. But do bear in mind that material on any third party website you link to must be free to download.
Can I upload a zipped file?
No, unfortunately you are unable to upload a zipped file.
What is the maximum size of a file that I can upload?
The maximum file size is 50Mb. Although do bear in mind the bigger the file the longer it will take to upload and download.
Why are some resources marked as 'Popular'?
To work out popularity we look at the ratings of a resource as well as the number of times it has been downloaded or viewed.
How do I find the resource I've been using?
For a resource that you've previously downloaded you should be able to find it easily by browsing through the subject and topic menus, or by using the search box at the top of the screen. To make it easier to find a resource next time you need to click 'Add as favourite' and it will be added to 'My favourites'
Are the resources free from viruses?
Yes, all resources are virus checked.
Can I delete a comment added to my resource by another user?
It's not possible for you to delete or edit a comment that has been added by another user. If you feel a comment is unfair click on the Report Comment link and give us a brief explanation of why you would like it removed.
I'm having problems uploading/downloading a resource. Who should I contact?
If you have any problems, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief explanation of your problem.