Teachers TV video collection - Primary English - Lesson Starters - Writing Genres
Lesson Starters - Writing Genres
These primary lesson starters can be used to inspire creative writing with KS1 and KS2 classes.
The videos cover a variety of different genres from horror to mystery.
Full Length Videos
- Each story start is a short but dramatic video clip that will fire children’s imaginations to continue the story into creative writing.
- Each of these clips are designed to stimulate creative writing or talk amongst primary pupils.
- As woman is tracking footprints across a deserted beach, a series of events unfold, making it a perfect start to an adventure story.
- This video can be used as a lesson starter. It is designed as a stimulus for writing an adventure story in KS2 English.
- A woman enters a sinister-looking antique shop with a little girl, the girl can hear a mysterious voice echoing from an antique jewellery box - what happens next?
- This clip is a stimulus for writing a historical story in KS1 or KS2 English, the clip should be of particular relevance to classes who are reading about Robin Hood.
- The clip should be of particular relevance to teachers who are focusing on story setting, plot or the horror story genre.
- The clip should be of particular relevance to classes that are reading or writing ghost stories. It would also make a good example of how to create atmosphere in a story.
- The clip should be helpful for teachers who want to focus on descriptive writing or on how to create a gripping setting for a story.
More Primary English video collections
- Ideas on how to use these resources