Teachers TV video collection - Primary Science - Lesson Starters - Physical World: Light
Lesson Starters - Physical World: Light
These video lesson starters for KS2 Science all look at the topic of light - how it travels, and how it helps us to see.
They can be used at the beginning of a lesson to pose questions and to get you class thinking about the topic.
How light works
- This video looks at shadows, opaque and translucent materials, and light travelling in a straight line.
- How light and colour can be used to create different moods on stage, and how spot lights create shadows.
- A shadowgraph theatre provides a good way to show how shadows are formed by blocking a light source.
- Eight robotic, moving lights, as used in rock concerts, show how light of different colours, shapes and patterns can be created and controlled.
Light and Seeing
- This video looks at light sources, how we see in the dark, making shadows, and how light travels.
- A group of boys and girls have been blindfolded. With the light now excluded from their eyes, what will they make of a table full of party food?
- How could a torch help find alost dog in the dark?
- Meet Alex who is virtually blind. It is a congenital condition and means that any light that does enter his eyes is not processed correctly by his optic nerves.
More Primary Science video collections
- Ideas on how to use these resources