Teachers TV video collection - Primary Science - Lesson Starters - Physical World: Sound
Lesson Starters - Physical World: Sound
These video lesson starters for KS2 Science all look at the topic of sound - how it works, and how we can hear it.
They can be used at the beginning of a lesson to pose questions and to get your class thinking about the topic.
How sound works
- A professional drum group show some children how the pitch is affected by the size and the tightness of the drum skins.
- This lesson starter prompts children to think about how well different materials muffle sound.
- A short clip showing how using different length guitar strings can change the pitch of the sound produced.
- Five imaginative lesson starters that introduce the subject of sound and hearing.
- Lots of close-up pictures of everyday items together with their sounds provide a stimulus for children to think about their auditory world.
- A professor tests the effect different sounds have on his assistant. How loud are the sounds and do they make her feel happy or sad?
- This lesson starter helps children recognise that our ears give information about where sounds are coming from.
More Primary Science video collections
- Ideas on how to use these resources