Christmas literature and literacy
From seasonal poetry and Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol to pantomime drama techniques and The Twelve Days of Christmas, we have a lovely collection of Literature and Literacy-based resources to get your class into the Christmas spirit.
- A lovely set of comprehension and writing tasks including Martha Cratchit’s diary entry, Scrooge’s obituary and a letter from Scrooge’s nephew.
- A PowerPoint with different forms of poetry all related to Christmas or winter.
- Introduce your pupils to gothic writing technique and the context of Dickens’ tale with these PowerPoint activities.
- TeachersTV: For a quick burst of the festive spirit, take a look at Michael Rosen’s visit to Charles Dickens’ house and find out more about his Christmas legacy.
- A wonderful abridgement of ‘A Christmas Carol’ from BBC School Radio - told in nine 15-minute episodes and perfect for inspiring your pupils.
- A great resource to encourage children to look at literary heritage and at the key components of poetic form.
- A complete script, suitable for all ages, that uses rhyming couplets to tell the nativity tale.
- A lovely drama scheme of work for covering pantomimes.
- A simple PowerPoint which tells the Christmas story with animations and sound.
- A lovely activity sheet for pupils to write up letters to Santa in French.