Early years - Role play teaching resources
Role play is a crucial part of learning that touches on most curriculum areas. It gives children understanding of the world around them through acting out roles of adults that they see in everyday life.
Using resources from this fabulous collection children can practise mark-making by filling out forms at the doctor, practise number recognition by dialling for a take-away and by pricing goods in a shop, learn what jobs people do in a Post Office, book an appointment at the vet and take details from a 999 call. You’ll also find some inspired, creative and detailed planning, fabulous flashcards, photos and topic words covering a variety of popular topics.
Transport and travel
- Bus, train, aeroplane and boat ticket templates to laminate and use in the role-play area.
- Simple signs and labels for airport role play.
- Detailed planning for the role play area.
- Variety of photos and maps to print off to make a travel agent display.
- Editable labels for use in travel agent role play and questions for the travel agent to ask the customers.
- Editable airline boarding passes for role play scenarios, enabling you to type your own dates, destinations, passenger names, etc.
- Editable train tickets for role play scenarios, enabling you to type your own destination, departure dates, etc.
Shops and high street services
- A bakery role play kit linked to literacy, with signs, a printable ‘cake book’ and order form.
- Photos of goods and prices, plus some signs, for a bakery role play area.
- Signs and posters for role play in a corner shop context.
- A variety of resources, including posters, adverts, customer order form and a design book.
- Posters for the role play area and a customer order form.
- Includes a plan of the early learning goal areas, shopping lists and signs for a newsagent.
- Great ideas for grocers, supermarket or shop role play.
- A set of bright labels with pictures and a seed packet design sheet to encourage writing for a purpose in the role play area.
- Pictures, sign, order forms, price labels and note paper.
- Posters with services and prices for garage role play.
- Labels, a sign for the shop, a menu and order forms.
- ‘Take-away’ posters for role play - children use the simple phone numbers on the telephone in character.
- Words and photos for a selection of topics for role play.
- Two sheets of produce names to use in a greengrocer role play area, with space for children to add prices.
- A colour menu to use in a role play cafe.
- Posters and an appointment book to use in the role play area.
Hospital and doctors
- Resources include room signs, ID badges, prescription pads, patient examination pads and appointment sheets.
- Great templates to encourage writing and mark-making in the role play area.
- Various hospital words to display and use in the role play area.
- Signs, labels, badges and medical record sheets for a hospital role play area.
- Picture and word labels for hospital role play.
- An opening times poster, a waiting room sign and some general flashcards.
- Forms for use in hospital/doctors role play, to encourage independent writing.
- Vet surgery flashcards, including animal cards, waiting room sign and opening times poster.
- Posters/signs for displaying in a vets role play area and sheets for children to draw their pets.
- An appointment template, open and closed signs, plus an extensive list of useful books.
- Mark-making/writing templates for the role play area with a Post Office theme.
- Planning, lorry tax forms and a Post Office shopping list.
- A brilliant collection of labels and signs, including shaped/coloured envelopes for sorting and Post Office documents.
- Labels and posters with photos and captions.
- A list of images and tasks to do with Post Office role play jobs.