Head of Middle School Learning
Head of Middle School Learning
Beaconhills College in Berwick Campus
Beaconhills College Overview
Beaconhills College offers affordable but high quality education, setting it apart in the region. We are an independent, open-entry, co-educational Christian College with campuses in Pakenham and Berwick. Our strengths lie in our strong sense of community within our school, from our infants, Early Learning years and right through to Year 12. The school was founded more than 30 years ago on Christian principles and these underpin all of our College programs and how we care for our students.
At Beaconhills we aim to educate the whole child, to help them develop spiritually, intellectually, physically and emotionally. We challenge our students – and inspire and nurture them to achieve excellence in everything they do. Our holistic approach to education inspires excellence and nurtures confident, independent learners with the values they need to be responsible, caring citizens in their local and global communities.
At Beaconhills College, we strive to foster individual talents and strengths. We know if students pursue their passion, excellent results will follow naturally. Excellence at Beaconhills is more than about achieving high scores or finishing at the top of the State. Excellence is a state-of-mind that all young people need to understand and apply to all walks of life. Whether it is in behaviour, appearance or commitment on the sporting field or on the stage, we encourage and expect our students to strive for excellence. While each student is part of the larger Beaconhills community, each sub-school within the College has been designed to maintain a small community feel. We have five sub-schools – Little Beacons Learning Centre (childcare and Early Learning), Junior School (Prep-Year 4), Middle School (Years 5-8), Year 9 andSeniorSchool(Years 10-12).
The Little Beacons Learning Centre provides age-appropriate learning experiences delivered with absolute excellence. It is a spacious, peaceful environment where children can grow and develop on their path through life.
The Junior School curriculum focuses on laying firm foundations in English, Mathematics and fundamental skills, along with developing a positive attitude and healthy social skills. Specialist subjects include Physical Education, French, Japanese, Visual Arts, Performing Arts and Religious and Values Education.
2014 Pakenham Berwick
Preparatory 4 classes 3 classes
Year 1 4 classes 3 classes
Year 2 4 classes 2 classes
Year 3 4 classes 2 classes
Year 4 3 classes 2 classes
Middle Schooling, Years 5 to 8, has proved to be highly effective in meeting the unique needs of students in those crucial years between primary and secondary schooling. Students have core teachers for Mathematics/Science and English/Humanities and specialist teachers for Technology, Visual Arts, Performing Arts, Religious and Values Education, Languages other than English and Human Movement.
2014 Pakenham Berwick
Years 5 - 6 4 classes 4 classes
Years 7 – 8 6 classes 6 classes
Year 9 Centres at both campuses are purpose-built, multimedia-rich places of learning, staffed by teachers with special skills in teaching Year 9s. Students have the opportunity to select from a broad range of electives. The core program includes units of Mathematics, English, Science, Humanities, Personal Development, Physical Education and a choice of French or Japanese.
2014 Pakenham Berwick
Year 9 6 classes 6 classes
In our Senior School program students can choose a diverse range of pathways to suit their own strengths and interests. There are no less than 42 VCE units with a possible 400 course combinations.
2014 Pakenham Berwick
Years 10 – 12 125-140
Beaconhills Outdoor Education Program umbrella stretches across a range of curricular and co-curricular activities. Students learn quickly while participating in our programs that actions have consequences in the outdoors and they must communicate, work as a team, problem-solve, respect their peers and learn new skills. It is a requirement of all teaching staff to participate in the extended overnight Outdoor Experiences program.
Other duties are in line with expectations of independent schooling, including yard duties, parent/teacher interviews, extra classes and relevant meetings. The College operates a seven period day over a two week cycle with Tutor Groups, Assemblies and Pastoral Care Meetings being part of the normal school week. Starting from Junior School, students take part in regular Religion and Values Education (RAVE) classes. Inyear 10, all students study Ethics and can continue their studies in VCE through Religion and Society units. Our Christian Chaplaincy Program operates at all levels throughout the College with five full time Chaplains employed over both campuses. Teachers are required to support the ecumenical Christian ethos and values of Beaconhills. Position Responsibilities
The Head of Learning - Middle School is responsible for the leadership and management of the Key Learning Areas within the Middle School. The Head of Middle School Learning will be responsible for the management of the scope and sequence of the Learning Programs, curriculum documentation and standards of achievement in all KLAs. The incumbent will work collaboratively with the Head of Middle School, other Heads of Section and other relevant curriculum leaders to ensure the College’s educational programs are consistent with the stated aims and ethos of Beaconhills. It is expected that the Head of Middle School Learning, therefore, would operate at an exemplary level within the framework of the aims and strategic goals of Beaconhills.
The Head of Learning - Middle School will be a member of the Middle School Leadership Team who will meet regularly. The Head of Learning - Middle School will work closely with the Head of Middle School in working towards achieving the strategic directions of the College.
This position reports to, and takes direction from, the Head of Middle School, and is accountable to the Campus Principal and the Headmaster. This leadership position attracts an appropriate remuneration package and time release. This position commences in Term 1, 2014 and is full-time and ongoing.
Specific Key Responsibilities
- Establish and develop the culture, facilities, resources and programs of the Middle School, in collaboration with the Campus Executive
- In collaboration with the Campus Executive, Heads of Department and other relevant staff monitor, evaluate and develop curriculum within the classroom
- Co-chair Heads of Department Meetings
- Ensure Heads of Departments provide appropriate scope and sequence course outlines and assessment documentation
- To work collaboratively with appropriate staff at the Pakenham Campus to ensure consistently high College standards
- Develop, implement and monitor a student testing and management program for the College
- In collaboration with the Campus Executive, Heads of Department and other relevant staff develop, manage, implement, monitor and evaluate individual differences programs, including recovery and extension programs
- Work collaboratively with teachers on curriculum and service delivery, helping them to incorporate appropriate lesson planning; apply effective teaching and learning strategies; and implement appropriate assessment and reporting practices
- Oversee the development and implementation of a comprehensive study program in the Middle School and the development of timemanagement strategies for students
- Develop and implement strategies designed to support student educational pathways
- Teach in the Middle School program
- Manage and lead the strategic implementation of College goals for Middle School curriculum to promote:
- Multi-campus organisation
- Academic Excellence
- Environmental Sustainability
- ICT Integration • Undertake relevant professional learning both at the College and in the broader educational community
- Promote the ideals of an independent school education and of Beaconhills
- Assist with special events, which may include Family Evenings, Presentation Night, Open Days, Information Evenings, Well-Being Programs and Productions
- Plan, develop and implement a range of initiatives throughout the Middle School
- To be successful candidates would meet the following criteria to the satisfaction of the selection panel and the Headmaster:
- Explain your personal values and how they are reflected in your daily life. How do you see your values supporting the Christian ethos of our community?
- Demonstrate a high level of knowledge of relevant teaching and learning practices.
- Demonstrate a proven understanding of Middle School curriculum.
- Demonstrate experience in teaching Middle School subjects.
- Demonstrate the use of appropriate Information Communication Technologies in their teaching.
- Demonstrate a proven capacity to improve student learning and promote personal best.
- Display a high level of classroom teaching and management skills.
- Display knowledge of developing units of work for Middle School students and provide evidence to support implementation.
- Demonstrate clear understanding of assessment and reporting procedures.
- Demonstrate significant contributions in the development, implementation and evaluation of integrated curriculum.
- Demonstrate an ability to lead, and contribute to, a committed team of educators.
- Demonstrate commitment to on-going professional learning and a proven capacity to model and share excellent teaching skills and knowledge within the school setting.
- Display a high level of communication and interpersonal skills when relating to students, parents and work colleagues.
- Demonstrate proactive contributions to school programs.
- Demonstrate an ability to ensure students learn through inquiry about where humankind stands in the ‘big picture’ of existence.
- Demonstrate a willingness to participate in educational change.
How to apply;
Applications must contain the details of three professional referees and personal referees may be included.
Applications should be forwarded electronically to:
The Human Resources Department
Please Quote “TES Australia” when responding to this ad
92 Kangan Drive
Berwick Victoria3806 (Map)
Applications for this position close at 5pm on Wednesday 2 October 2013