HEAD OF MIDDLE YEARS (YEARS 7 & 8)
HEAD OF MIDDLE YEARS (YEARS 7 & 8)
NEWINGTON COLLEGE (YEARS 7-12)
COMMENCING TERM 1 2014
The College is seeking to appoint a permanent, full-time Head of Middle Years (Years 7 & 8) to commence Term 1, 2014 (Secondary Leadership Team commences 20 January 2014). The current Head of Middle Years, Mr Jeff Snare, is to retire during the course of next year. He will stand down from the leadership position at the end of this year after a superb 23 year contribution to Newington College.
The Head of Middle Years is responsible for the leadership of the day to day operations and pastoral care of all boys in Years 7 and 8. They are to ensure that all the boys in these year groups are known well by their Mentor, Head of House and Head of Year.
A successful background in a secondary pastoral role eg Housemaster or Head of Year and a genuine and demonstrated interest with middle schooling would be advantageous.
The Head of Middle Years reports to the Deputy Head of Stanmore (Pastoral) and is a member of the Secondary Leadership Team.
DUTY STATEMENT FOR HEAD OF MIDDLE YEARS
1. Leadership of the middle years (Years 7 and 8) policies, programs and day to day operations. This covers the five pillars of Newington – academic, pastoral, co-curricular, spiritual and community
2. Ensure a smooth transition into Year 7 for all boys. This includes the orientation program for new entrants into Year 7 and developing close links with Wyvern and Lindfield Preps
3. Drive middle school research and welfare needs for boys and staff
4. Leadership and development of key pastoral leaders involved with Years 7 and 8. This includes Heads of Year, Assistant Heads of Year, Heads of House, Counsellors, and Chaplains. This to include the allocation of Mentors at the Year 7 and 8 levels.
5. Leadership of the discipline/tone/expectations of boys in Years 7 and 8
6. Responsibility of Year group meetings/events/camps/relevant excursions or incursions
7. Support of Curriculum implementation and administration in conjunction with Deputy Head (Academic) and other relevant Academic team members for Years 7 and 8 eg examinations, reports, learner profile, committee of review, timely intervention of under-performing boys, enrichment activities, parent-teacher sessions, Year 9 elective subject information sessions, allocation of boys to Year 7 classes and Houses
8. Oversight for risk and compliance for Years 7 and 8 operations
9. Responsibility of the Years 7 and 8 Mentor programs and the effective implementation (includes service learning, leadership, character programs)
10. Assist Deputy Head of Stanmore (Pastoral) with discipline issues across Years 9-12
11. Assist Head of Campus with admissions processes for Year 7 and selection of the Halse Rogers scholarships for Year 7 and oversight of all scholarship holders (Academic, Music, Bursaries, Halse Rogers) whilst in Years 7 and 8
12. Implementation of the Newington Strategic Plan as relevant for Years 7 and 8 in conjunction with other key staff
13. Support of the spiritual dimension of the College with the Chaplaincy team
14. Support of Co-curricular programs with the Head of Co-curricular
15. Effective communication with parents of boys in Years 7 and 8
16. Attendance and support with public relations events egOpen Days, Tours, Visitors
17. Membership of the Secondary Leadership Team, Secondary Pastoral Executive, and the College K-12 Pastoral Executive
18. Duties requested by Deputy Head (Pastoral), Deputy Headmaster or Headmaster.
Applications close 5:00 pm Friday, 16 August 2013
For more information, guidelines and how to apply please visit this link:http://www.newington.nsw.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Head-of-Middle-Years-full-time-perm-website.pdf?c6071f&site=aus
For more employment opportunities please visit:http://www.newington.nsw.edu.au/about/employment/?site=aus
Please mention “TES AUSTRALIA” when applying for this role.
Close Date: 16/08/2013