Mathematics Teacher (YEARS 7–12)
Newington College in Stanmore, NSW
STANMORE SECONDARY CAMPUS
PERMANENT FULL-TIME COMMENCING 2014
Newington College seeks a dynamic and inspirational teacher to join the Mathematics Department for a 2014 commencement. There is the possibility of a 2IC role for a suitable candidate. The College offers both the NSW Higher School Certificate and the IB Diploma programs. An ability and willingness to contribute to the pastoral care and co-curricular program will be required. All staff must be supportive of the Christian ethos of the College.
The Mathematics Department currently teaches the compulsory Mathematics courses for Year 7 through to Year 10 and the HSC or International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme Mathematics courses for Years 11 and 12.
The Mathematics Department aims to develop and enhance the students’ confidence and enjoyment in doing mathematical activities, their knowledge, skills and understanding of syllabus-based content as well as their awareness of the place of Mathematics in solving problems of everyday life. These aims are pursued in the knowledge that students learn best when motivated and that they learn Mathematics as individuals within a context of intellectual, physical and social growth. It is a department of 19 teaching staff who work in a cohesive and collegial environment. All staff teach across the range of year groups and levels.
Boys are encouraged to participate in various Mathematics competitions and projects under the auspices of the Australian Mathematical Olympiad Committee (AMOC) and the Australian Mathematics Trust. Our Mathematics results have traditionally been very strong. There is an accelerated class at each year level as part of a comprehensive gifted and talented program.
Further details about these positions can be obtained by contacting Mr Doug Vass, Head of Mathematics, email firstname.lastname@example.org telephone (02) 9568 9333.
We have deliberately not provided set and narrow selection criteria. However, it would be expected that the successful candidate will:
- be a dynamic and successful classroom practitioner
- have a sound understanding of the learning needs of boys
- engage boys in a vibrant Mathematics education program years 7 - 12
- utilise appropriate technologies to enhance the teaching program
- have appropriate teaching and tertiary qualifications for Mathematics
- work effectively as a member of an enthusiastic team
- show a genuine appreciation and commitment to pastoral care
- be prepared to participate in the College co-curricular program.
It is recommended that you use this information, the information contained on the College’s website and your own initiative to present a curriculum vitae that reflects you, your career to date and your priorities.
An ability and willingness to teach at the high levels at Years 11 and 12 would be an advantage.
Experience teaching NSW Stage 6 Mathematics at the highest level is greatly desired. Short-listed applicants will be required to undertake a demonstration lesson as part of the selection process.
GUIDELINES FOR THE APPLICATION
a) To apply for this position you must be eligible to work in Australia, e.g. hold an appropriate and current Australian work visa.
b) Applications should not be more than eight A4 pages as one attachment, PDF format preferred.
Applications should have a covering letter of not more than two pages, which includes a statement in support of your candidacy.
c) All applicants are required to apply by completing the online application form available at:
d) All applications will be acknowledged after the closing date.
e) Applications must also include the following information:
- Personal details (a photograph is optional)
- Qualifications (please include the date of each qualification and the name of the institution awarding the qualification). Short-listed applicants will be asked to bring original documents or certified copies of transcripts of qualifications to the interview.
- A summary of your current position
- A concise summary of your employment history (beginning with the most recent position)
- Membership of any professional associations
- Co-curricular involvement, interests and expertise
- Names, positions and contact details for three (3) referees
- One or more referees should hold supervisory positions.
f) Please indicate whether the possibility of the 2IC position is of distinct interest.
g) Applications close 4:00 pm Friday, 25 October 2013.
Please mention “TES AUSTRALIA” when applying for this role.
200 Stanmore Road
Stanmore NSW 2048
Ph: 9568 9333
Fax: 9568 9521
Close Date: 25/10/2013