Maths Resource of the Week 4
Visit Mr Barton Math’s profile page
- A great algebraic twist on the classic Countdown game
- What is it? - I am often blown away by what Excel can do. This resource takes the classic numbers game from the TV show Countdown and adds a lovely little algebraic twist. Instead of having a target number to make using the cards, this time it is a target expression. The file has been designed so not only can it generate an infinite number of questions, it also provides a solution if needed. Fantastic. Just make sure you enable macros when asked by Excel, otherwise it won’t work!
- How could it be used? - This would be a tremendous starter activity to act as a reminder for a class who have already studied simplification, or likewise a plenary for a group who have just completed the topic. Why not make it into a bit of a competition? Split the class into two, give them 30 seconds per question, 2 points for a correct answer, 1 penalty point for an incorrect answer, and a bonus point if your answer has more than two operations in it. Let battle commence.
- How have you used this resource? - Please share your ideas below.
- Uploaded by Stephen Bodman
All Resources of the Week