MFL teaching resources - Dictionary and reference skills
Secondary MFL Dictionary and reference skills
It is important for success at GCSE that students are able to look up and accurately use new language by themselves. This – together with the new secondary curriculum focus on creativity and using language in new contexts and for new purposes – has increased the need for teachers to help learners to develop dictionary and reference skills from the outset. This collection includes some of the best resources for developing dictionary skills with KS3 learners.
All languages - dictionary and reference skills
- This resource is an excellent way to build on the teaching of phonics and encourages learners to continue to build their vocabulary based on the commonalities of sounds/pronunciation.
- A set of resources guaranteed to get learners reaching for their dictionaries - individual French words which, when translated into English, give names of celebrities, films and tv programmes.
- This does the same as the previous pop group quiz but with children’s book titles.
- Learners will need to use dictionaries to complete this, but they will also need to conjugate verbs in the present tense, remind them that dictionaries take you just part of the way there!
- A lesson in which learner use dictionary skills and revise ER verbs and essential knowledge about French nouns.
- An excellent PowerPoint introduction to nouns is followed up with a very useful worksheet to practise dictionary skills with nouns in German.
- A clear introduction to the different parts of a dictionary with tasks to develop essential skills in dictionary use.
- A very effective lesson involving dictionary skills.
- A very good introductory lesson for new learners of German.
- A very nice lesson involving some online dictionary work and a variety of other tasks involving numbers and food vocabulary - authentic and motivating!
- The first of a series of 3 dictionary skills lessons for Year 7 Spanish learners.
- The second in a series of 3 dictionary skills lessons for beginner learners of Spanish.
- The third in a series of 3 dictionary skills lessons for beginner learners of Spanish.
- A lovely worksheet which pools together activities created by R Hawkes and another TES contributor. This is aimed at beginners Spanish.
- A very nice introduction to using a dictionary in Spanish.