Our ponds and gardens are teeming with creepy crawlies just waiting to be observed and studied. Guide your pupils as they learn about food chains and life cycles using creatures such as ants, spiders and flies as examples.
Minibeast games and activities
- A study of minibeasts, using worksheets, PowerPoint and Smart notebook.
- PowerPoint with a rhyme about minibeasts and matching minibeasts to their habitats activity.
- A pack of eight minibeast fans, along with possible questions you can ask the children.
- PowerPoint demonstrating how adjectives make sentences more interesting.
- Interactive minibeast game for young pupils or those with SEN.
- PowerPoint of cards with photos, symbols and drawings to match with minibeast names.
- A garden in which the children can place various minibeasts, to start off minibeast habitat discussions.
- A simplified version of minibeast top trump cards, for younger children.
- A game likely to get the noise levels rising – pupils will have a description but can they guess which creepy crawly is the culprit?
KS1 – Science
- A video to show the various adaptations and bodily functions of the creatures we see around us every day.
- Colourful PowerPoint to use with the rhyme: walking through the garden.
- Clear photographs of minibeasts with 2 questions on each card.
- Informative PowerPoint about bugs.
- Minibeast photos, an activity sheet and a minibeast hunt.
- Photos, vocabulary and questioning, for a stimulating Minibeast Investigation Area.
- A set of 24 slides showing photographs of various minibeasts, for a great introduction to the topic.
- A nice set of photos showing a variety of minibeasts ‘posing’ with flowers. This can be used from wall displays through to discussion starters.
- A simple worksheet for matching the correct symmetrical image to each butterfly.
- Brightly illustrated rhymes and songs to print onto card and laminate.
- Animal pictures to sort into sets that hatch from an egg and those that do not.
Minibeast lesson plans
- Animal and minibeast topic web CLL, PSED, KUW, CD medium term plans.
- EYFS minibeast medium term plan 6 EYFS minibeast based medium term plans on all 6 learning areas.
- A 7-week Medium Term plan for early years foundation stage.
- Weekly planning, including shared reading looking at a minibeast encyclopedia.
- A list of resources for a FS/KS1 minibeast topic, including fiction and non-fiction books and websites.
- Detailed termly planning and an information leaflet for parents.