National Strategies Secondary Maths Collection - Assessing Pupil Progress (APP)
Collection Author: Craig Barton - Maths AST and creator of www.mrbartonmaths.com (TES Name: mrbartonmaths)
APP is a structured approach to pupil assessment in Key Stage 3 to support teachers with:
- making judgements about their pupils’ attainment, keyed into national standards
- developing and refining their understanding of progression in science
- gathering diagnostic information about the strengths and areas of development of individual pupils and groups of pupils
- tracking pupils’ progress over time to inform the planning of teaching
- planning teaching that is matched to pupils’ needs
- supporting the transfer of meaningful information at key transitional points
- facilitating the setting of meaningful curricular targets that can be shared with pupils and parents.
Based on the assessment focuses (AFs) that underpin National Curriculum assessment, APP improves the validity and reliability of teachers’ assessment. These resources from the National Strategies aim to make the process of APP as smooth and as painless as possible.
- Assessment grids containing the assessment criteria for mathematics, levels 2 to 8. These grids can be used to help in Assessing Pupils’ Progress (APP) at Key Stage 3.
- These materials are based on the APP assessment criteria and organised in the National Curriculum levels. There is a set for each of levels 4 to 8.
APP Assessment Packages
- The Assessment Packages were developed as part of the original APP project and support level judgments up to level 6.
- This document, the APP Guidance booklet, along with the focused assessment materials and the assessment packages, provide additional support for departments in implementing the APP approach through Assessment for Learning (AfL) in mathematics lessons.
- Annotated Worked Examples of leveled students’ work to help ensure consistency across a department
- Assessment criteria for assessing pupils’ progress in mathematics to support teachers in making periodic assessments throughout Key Stages 1 to 4.
- A series of case studies documenting different approaches to APP in Maths inn a diverse range of schools
- Guidance document summarising Assessing Pupils’ Progress (APP), a structured approach to periodic assessment.
- This booklet is a mathematics subject version of Tracking for success, a guide to help school leaders develop and refine whole-school pupil tracking procedures.