National Strategies Secondary Maths Collection – Improving Learning in Mathematics: Mostly Calculus
Collection Author: Craig Barton - Maths AST and creator of www.mrbartonmaths.com (TES Name: mrbartonmaths)
Electronic copies of the excellent resources from the Improving Learning in Mathematics, otherwise known as the Standards Units. If you haven’t used these before, they are definitely worth a look, and if you haven’t used them for a while, they are definitely worth a second look! This collection is “Mostly Calculus”
- Students classify quadratic functions according to the properties of their graphs and their algebraic forms.
- Students explore the mathematical properties of functions involving negative and fractional powers of X. They reflect on reasoning produced by other learners as they make links between algebraic functions and their graphs.
- Students explore the properties of functions and their derivatives and relate these to the graphs of the function.
- Students explore differentiation and integration of fractional and negative powers and make generalisations.
- Students make connections between quadratic and cubic functions, their derivatives and graphs. They analyse solutions to problems.