Part Time ELC Assistant/Co-Educator
Part Time ELC Assistant/Co-Educator
Carey Baptist Grammar School in Victoria
Position reports to: Director of Early Childhood Centre (ELC)
Role: Part-time (0.67), 5 days 12 - 5 pm.
Location: Junior School, Kew Campus
Purpose of Role
The Assistant contributes to the delivery and development of the Early Learning Centre’s quality program under the supervision of the Director and the teacher-in-charge. The role is one of support for the teacher in charge and the children in the day-to-day operation of the Centre.
Duties & Responsibilities
Program Planning and preparation
- The Assistant is responsible to the Teacher-in-charge on a day to day basis for implementing the program’s aims and objectives and daily routines of the kindergarten program.
- To assist with the preparation and set up of activities and learning experiences with the supervision and guidance of the Teacher-in-charge.
- Undertake and record observations of children as required, with the direction of the Teacher-in-charge.
- To assist with the preparation, general cleanliness (non- industrial) and packing away of equipment and materials as directed by the Teacher-in-charge
- To assist in working with individual and small groups of children both spontaneously and in organised activities as directed by the Teacher-in-charge indoors and outdoors
- Display children’s work
- Take telephone calls and convey messages when needed
- Other duties as required by the Director Occupational Health and Safety co-ordination
- Ensure all work is performed in accordance with Education and Care Services National Regulations and the Education and Care Services National Law Act 2010
- Ensure understanding of emergency evacuation and safety plans in the ELC
- Ensure that OH&S hazards identified are addressed immediately to ensure the safety and welfare of all children staff and visitors to the ELC
- Work cooperatively with teachers on hazard management
- Complete fire safety and lockdown drills as directed
- Undertake incident reporting in a timely way in accordance with School policies and procedures
- Ensure clear and effective communication and relationships with Health and Safety Representative/s.
Policy and Compliance
- Understand, communicate and ensure adherence and compliance with all School policies and procedures
- Ensure working knowledge of Education and Care Services National regulations and the Education and Care Services National Law 2010
- Ensure understanding of and adherence to Privacy Act
- Ensure confidentiality of information.
- To work as a cooperative and professional team member sharing responsibilities and duties
- To assist in building strong relationships through excellent communication with children, families and staff with the aim of maintaining a consistent, strong, positive tone in the ELC
- To actively encourage and support general parent involvement in the program and day to day happenings of the kindergarten
- To encourage parents to consult with the teacher on issues of children’s development, the program and/or other areas of concern
- To inform the teacher and/or the Director if concerned that Education and Care Services National Regulations and Education and Care Services National Law Act 2010 are not being met.
- To aim for an early resolution to any issues of conflict, by ensuring actions are proactive, restorative and professional
- To maintain confidentiality on all issues relating to children, families and staff.
- Weekly Room meeting
- Whole ELC staff meeting twice a term
- Other meetings from time to time, as designated by the Director such as parent information evenings
Skills, Knowledge & Qualifications
- Evident rapport and good relationships with children
- Demonstrated knowledge of child development and early childhood teaching practices
- Proven ability to work as a team member
- Proven ability to maintain the confidence and respect of staff, students and parents
- Proven organisational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Commitment to excellence in early childhood teaching with a commitment to ongoing development of knowledge in new developments within the field
- Diploma of Early Childhood or equivalent is desirable
- Be proficient in using information communication technologies
- Current first aid qualifications
- Working With Children check
How to apply;
Please Quote “TES Australia” when responding to this ad
Carey Baptist Grammar School
349 Barkers Road, Kew 3101
Applications close Wednesday 23 October 2013.