Resources for each day of National School Meals Week
This week (5-9 November) focused on food is a perfect excuse to encourage healthy eating, explore foods of the world and indulge in some delightful desserts. Every day has a special theme – give students a taster of each with these classroom resources including quizzes, recipes, lesson plans and PowerPoints.
Monday: Get eating
- What’s the difference between a healthy and an unhealthy dinner? Get pupils designing a meal fit for their favourite celebrity with a lesson on healthy eating.
- Do students know the importance of protein and fruit portions? Find out with this fun quiz.
Tuesday: Get celebrating
- Organise a class party and get pupils cooking with a resource pack from Grain Chain.
- How do you prepare for a party? Plan timings so everything is party perfect with this speaking and listening lesson.
Wednesday: Get traditional
- Show students meals that are traditionally British with this succulent slideshow.
- Tell the tale of our traditional foods – where they came from and when they became popular – with a presentation looking back in time.
Thursday: Get exploring
- Practise language skills and cooking with a tasty tapas recipe in Spanish.
- From Chapatis to Kashata, explore the foods of East Africa with Send a Cow’s resource pack.
Friday: Get pudding
- Go bananas for this Caribbean dessert recipe.
- Get fruity with these simple illustrated cooking instructions – a healthy treat to end the week.
- There’s a quiz for every key stage in this resource pack from LACA.
- Based on this year’s themes – celebrating, eating, exploring and traditional – these assemblies encourage students to make sure their diet is healthy.
- With Cornish pasties, leeks and Scottish salmon, it’s time to focus on traditional foods with these activities for KS1 students.
- Pupils will be hunting for clues with this KS2 geography resource which asks them to find where traditional foods come from. Who will find the home of Bakewell tart or Cheddar cheese first?
- A simple, colourful menu template to fill in and display. Make sure everyone knows what delicious treats you have in store.
- Let parents know what you’ll be getting up to at school with these pre-drafted letters explaining National School Meals Week in English and Welsh.
- Press release templates for every day of the week.
- Encourage your school council to embrace National School Meals Week with this letter template in English and Welsh.
- Spice up your school menu with these recipes from the winning chefs of LACA School Chef of the Year 2011 and 2012.
- Excite pupils about festive foods with this creative worksheet.
- With anagrams and spot the difference, here’s another creative collection of activities to encourage students to celebrate with food.
- Reward students who have tried new foods, eaten all their fruit and veg or tried their hand at cooking. These certificates are available in English and Welsh.
- Advertise your planned activities for the week with these colourful posters.
- Colourful posters to help you let students know about National School Meals Week.