Secondary English Teacher
Secondary English Teacher
Lake Joondalup Baptist College in Joondalup
Lake Joondalup Baptist College seeks expressions of interest from experienced and enthusiastic Music educators for 2014 to be an integral part of the Arts department. The suitable candidate will be a dynamic team player, qualified and committed, to fill the role of Secondary Music Teacher.
The position is 0.6 of a full time load, with the possible option of instrumental tuition to make a full load.
The Music Teacher will be expected to work collaboratively in the planning of Secondary Music learning and teaching, be a self-starter and be keen to foster growth in the music program by the use of innovative and informed pedagogy. The appointee will be a resourceful and supportive person who has specialist skills in the area of music, and who is able to assume responsibility for the day to day management of all aspects of their area of responsibility. Subject to satisfactory performance appraisal, this position will be ongoing and represents a wonderful opportunity to make a significant contribution to the work and ministry of the College.
The Music teacher will be responsible to the Director of Music and the Head of the Arts for the class music curriculum, and will be expected to participate in various co-curricular music activities.
The successful applicant will commence from the beginning of 2014, with the actual starting date for teaching to be confirmed.
Duties, responsibilities and experience
- Secondary Music curriculum and administration
- Experience in teaching Senior Secondary (Years 10, 11 and 12) Music to Stage 3 and Lower
- Secondary Music (Years 7, 8, 9) is essential. Ability to teach VET an advantage.
- Organise and coordinate excursions and workshops with visiting musical artists.
- Work collaboratively as a team member and make an effective contribution to bring about excellence in teaching strategies and educational outcomes.
- Develop programs of learning and teaching relevant to the implementation of an effective music program within the College. Undertake an active role in curriculum design, support and implementation.
- Liaise with parents, teachers, the Director of Music and the Head of the Arts to plan, prepare, monitor and report on the progress of students.
- Evaluate student learning to provide evidence of progress in music literacy, including preparation of student portfolios and Interim and Semester reports.
- Keep abreast of innovations in teaching theory and methods through professional development.
- Encourage in students the love of music, instil good music literacy habits and an appreciation of different genres of music.
- Selection and organisation of appropriate resources to support the curriculum.
- Help to maintain instruments and resources.
- Liaise with the Director of Music regarding budgets and acquisition of resources.
- Actively participate in the planning and implementation of College musical productions, music festivals and similar events.
- Liaise with the Director of Music to promote the participation in Eisteddfods.
- Able to communicate with parents and students, both in formal and informal situations, in order to promote a caring and professional environment within the College community.
- Work closely with the Head of Secondary Learning Enhancement with respect to the academic program of students with learning difficulties and special needs.
- Willing to support and promote the Christian ethos of Lake Joondalup Baptist College at all times.
- Implement all College policies and procedures relating to student management and care and implement any changes from time to time as directed by the Dean of Students K-12.
- Willing to attend consensus and support meetings organised by AISWA, the School Curriculum and Standards Authority or professional bodies.
- Support the Dean of Studies K-12 and the Head of the Arts with regard to the implementation
- of the curriculum, in line with the School Curriculum and Standards Authority of WA and the Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority.
- Teach and undertake other duties as specified by the Head of the Arts and the Dean of Administration.
- Contribute to co-curricular activities, as directed by the Dean of Staff Development and Cocurricular, such as running ensembles/bands/choirs/advanced classes before/after school for students. Direct, conduct and fulfil administration duties for the various bands and ensembles for performances at College functions and events.
- Provide in-class support to students with learning difficulties and special needs.
- Assist with a Form class and participate in House activities.
- Attend regular after school meetings with the Director of Music and other music teachers, the Arts Learning Area and Secondary Teachers.
- Other duties as directed by the Principal.
Qualifications, experience and personal qualities
- Registration or eligibility for registration with the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia.
- The successful applicant will have excellent interpersonal and professional qualities, including compassion, strong written and oral communication skills, initiative and ability to work as a team member.
- An ability to integrate ICT into pedagogical practices.
- A current reference from the applicant’s Church Pastor/Minister is desirable.
Please visit the Employment section on the College website
www.ljbc.wa.edu.au/Employment/employment.html and refer to the section Application Information, Secondary Teaching Staff Prospectus. An Employment Application Form is available for downloading from this page.
Please submit your application, together with your resume, as follows:
By email: HR@ljbc.wa.edu.au
By post to: College Principal
Lake Joondalup Baptist College
PO Box 95
JOONDALUP WA 6919
By hand: Lake Joondalup Baptist College
Kennedya Drive, Joondalup
Western Australia 6027
PH: +61 8 9300 7444
FAX: +61 8 9300 1878
Please mention “TES AUSTRALIA” when applying for this role.
Closing date for applications: 4pm Friday 11 October 2013