Secondary Maths Collection 9 - "Maths Puzzles"
Collection Author: Craig Barton - Maths AST and creator of www.mrbartonmaths.com (TES Name: mrbartonmaths)
Puzzles are so important in mathematics, for all ages and abilities. Not only are they a way of engaging students, but they are also a way of developing those all important problem solving and thinking skills that are becoming increasingly important, especially with the introduction of the new GCSE. Puzzles also present a great opportunity for group work, and for giving students the opportunity to explain their method and solution to the rest of the class. Hopefully you will find some nice puzzles in this bundle which you can try out thought the year.
Top 10 Resources:
- A fantastic resource from David Gale who looks at opportunities to be creative in Maths. He has hand-picked puzzles and activities that bring out the best in students, challenging them mathematically and helping them enjoy their subject more.
- A phenomenal set of resources, all in the “race-game” format. Students start on Card 1, work together to crack it, sprint to the front with the answer, and if correct get the next card. Chaos, fun and lot of high-quality learning will inevitably ensue!
- A brilliant set of puzzles that can be completed on Excel or simply printed off. We have Minesweeper, Sudoku and Kakuro to name a few!
- There is lots of really interesting maths involved in Magic Squares, and this resource takes you and your students through all of it!
- Mr Famer has produced some amazing free resources for maths teachers, including the indispensible Ten Quick Questions and Countdown Numbers Game, and this set of Matchstick Puzzles is right up there with the best of them!
- If you are looking for a high quality puzzle, for any age or ability, and the Nrich should be your first port of call. This one will challenge your brightest of sixth form students.
- And how about an Nrich puzzle for your younger students?
- A really nice logic puzzle which requires sound knowledge of the properties of numbers. And best of all, a kind TES user has now supplied the answers!
- Fancy some Sudoku against the clock with a football theme? Well then, this is the resource for you!
- Students love cracking a code, with this particular one requiring knowledge of the classic Caesar Cipher.