Teachers TV video collection - Primary English - Lesson Starters - Storytelling
Lesson Starters - Storytelling
Use classic stories and well-known tales from different cultures to inspire creative writing with your pupils.
This collection of videos can be used as lesson starters for both KS1 and KS2 classes.
- An extract from this classic family story provides an opportunity for KS2 children to write their own dramatic story about bravery.
- Red Riding Hood is delightfully retold by puppeteer Stephen Novy using hand puppets.
- An extract from Jacqueline Wilson’s Double Act provides writing opportunities for KS2 English pupils.
- This animation, told simply through pictures, provides an opportunity for imaginative and descriptive writing.
Stories from other cultures
- Five short video clips designed for teachers to use with primary pupils in order to stimulate their imagination and support story writing.
- This Punjabi story offers the first couple of minutes of a traditional story performed with shadow puppets.
- This simple but dramatic story is performed using table top puppets.The characters and story are set up for the audience to add their own version or take the story as performed on to its conclusion.
- This Punjabi story offers the first couple of minutes of a traditional story performed with shadow puppets.The story sets up the basic plot, introduces the main characters and leaves the audience at a point where they have to guess what happens next.
- This well known traditional story from Morocco is performed with glove and rod puppets.
More Primary English video collections
- Ideas on how to use these resources