Teachers TV video collection - Secondary English Lesson Ideas
Secondary English Lesson Ideas
Teachers demonstrate and discuss their most inspirational lessons in this collection of videos for KS3 and KS4 English.
Covering a variety of English topics, they give tips and advice for delivering the lessons yourself.
- A lesson on poetry for GCSE English students, designed to boost confidence when analysing a poem’s various interpretations.
- A KS4 English lesson which helps the students connect with Robert Browning’s My Last Duchess is examined in this video aimed at helping teachers with their planning.
- A Year 10 class is given key words from William Blake’s complete London poem in alphabetical order. By isolating key words, the students begin to explore the themes.
- Building on their knowledge of iambic pentameter, students are asked to look at two speeches by contrasting characters; Macbeth, and Puck from A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
- A Key Stage 4 English lesson on extended writing that uses pair and group work to build confidence in writing a film review.
- Using key words and clauses from historical and contemporary speeches, a Year 7 class discuss themes and motives for writing their own.
Speaking and Listening
- Three great lesson ideas for speaking and listening activities for KS3 English lessons, presented by English teachers
English and History Cross-Curricular Project
- This combined KS3 English and history lesson idea examines links between slavery and American Civil Rights, using Mildred Taylor’s book Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry.
- KS3 students role-play characters from Mildren D Taylor’s book Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry, merging black history with English.
- This KS3 English and black history lesson idea invites students to look at the contribution of black and Asian people in Britain.
For the resources used in these videos, plus many more: