Teachers TV video collection -Secondary Science - KS3 Lesson Starters - Physics: Sound
KS3 Lesson Starters - Physics: Sound
These KS3 and KS4 lesson starters will get your class thinking about sound, frequencies and how it travels.
The videos are presented here in a full length version and in shorter clips, which you can use to introduce the different topics to your students.
Full length video
- Trevor Cox, professor of acoustics at the University of Salford, presents a series of engaging lesson starters about how sound is made and its effect on the objects around us.
- A demonstration of how sound needs a medium to pass through.
- A short clip which features a demonstration of how sound needs a medium to pass through.
- A short demonstration on how sounds are made, ideal for use as a lesson starter in KS3/4 science.
- A short demonstration on waveforms, ideal for use as a lesson starter on sound.
- A short clip featuring a simple demonstration of how we humans hear sounds in stereo
- A demonstration of how a sonic boom is produced. Ideal for use as a lesson starter on sound and can be used at KS3/4.
- A clip featuring a demonstration of how musical instruments sound different when they are played in different environments.
- Demonstrating how body parts can be used to make different kinds of sound.
- Ideas on how to use these resources