Primary Maths - Measure
Tools to model concepts, activities to introduce measuring language and units, and quality worksheets for pupils to practise all aspects of measuring. If you have Primary Maths resources on this topic you would like to add to this collection email email@example.com
- A simple class clock, for the IWB, to explore telling the time. Ask pupils to set or read various times.
Compare Digital Clocks
- A tool to demonstrate time intervals on digital clocks. Pose questions for pupils to set earlier and later times and to identify time intervals between the two clocks.
Introducing Metric Mass
- A fun PowerPoint presentation, complete with some animation and sound effects, to introduce KS2 pupils to the concept of metric weights and measures.
- An engaging EY or KS1 activity to estimate and weigh using animals as non-standard units! A great opportunity to model vocabulary such as ‘heavier’, ‘lighter’, ‘equal’, ‘balanced’.
Measuring in cm and m
- Y2/3 presentation for measuring in cm, converting cm into m and reading an unmarked scale.
Measure and Interval Maker
- A tool to model measuring and reading scale intervals. Choose weight, height or length then set the intervals required.
Measurement Topic Cards
- Sets of flash cards with vocabulary for basic measurement, for KS1.
Worksheets and Pupil Activities
- A superb worksheet generator for time-telling with various levels to choose from.
- Flash cards to laminate and for pupils to add the hand in with a dry-wipe marker. All ‘o’clock’ formats.
Cake Cooking Times
- A worksheet for pupils to add on half an hour to various times. Easily adaptable to set more complicated problems.
Time and Measure Problems
- Three differentiated worksheets with word problems, using a mixture of 1 or 2 step solutions.
Dimensions Detective Agency
- A worksheet for pairs of pupils to practise measuring accurately to the nearest millimetre.
Simpsons Measure Problems
- Differentiated word problems based on the Simpsons’ home of Springfield, using metres and kilometres.
Animal Height Labels
- Ask pupils to measure the jungle animals against the measuring stick and record and compare their heights.
Animal Length Labels
- Ask pupils to measure the jungle animals against the measuring stick and record and compare their lengths.
Time, Length, Capacity
- Illustrated, differentiated cards, aimed at Y2, with word problems for carousel lessons.
Katie Morag - sequencing events and times
- Pupils work out the sequence of events by reading the clues. A lovely contextual problem-solving resource for KS1.
Area and Perimeter Investigation
- An investigation to find out the width and area of walls with a set perimeter and height, leading to a practical activity.
Perimeter and Area investigation in real life context
- Using images from Google Earth, real measurements and real prices, the investigation involves the children calculating the costs of re-turfing a football stadium, decking the court yard at Buckingham Palace and knocking down the Houses of Parliament to make a car park.
- An activity for using kg weights to catapult different sized chickens into a tree! The open-ended nature of this activity means that teacher or pupils can set their own challenges and pupils learn to adapt their guesses based on experience.
Weighing Scale Dials
- Large, clear images of scale faces with different numbered and unnumbered divisions. Use for whole class teaching or copy and paste to create worksheets.
Scales and Weight Worksheets
- Aimed at Y4, these are worksheets to practise reading scales and answering questions on weight/mass.
At the Vets
- Ask pupils to measure the height and length of, and weigh, the animals. The pupils’ results are recorded on a second screen. Lots of opportunities to draw out comparison language and to discuss reading scales with unmarked intervals.
Capacity Word Problems
- Two differentiated worksheets. Add in your own teacher and pupil names to personalise!
- Two activities involving estimating and measuring capacity using a selection of different sized containers.
- Work out the capacity of each container by pouring it into the measuring jug and working out the value using the scale.