TES teaching resources - PSHE Healthy Eating
Primary PSHE - Healthy Eating
A major focus of the primary PSHE curriculum is healthy eating: what are the main food groups? What constitutes a ‘balanced’ meal? What effects do different nutrients have on the body? To help answer these questions and more, TES Resources has collated some fabulous, free teaching resources – all contributed by other teachers – to support you in helping your pupils to understand the value of different foods and how to make informed choices about what they put into their bodies. There’s even support for cooking in the classroom!
The resources below are applicable (or easily adaptable) for different ages unless a Key Stage is stated.
- Help feed Little Bear, by finding examples of food from different food categories.
- Drag food items into the basket, then sort the foods into groups, giving them appropriate labels on the Venn diagram.
- Pupils compare and choose fruits from an interactive shopping basket whilst considering the nutritional value and where the food comes from.
Other fantastic resources
Introducing food groups and healthy eating
- An interactive resource from NGfL Cymru, with full lesson plan, that introduces children to healthy eating.
- Get your pupils up on their feet and singing along to this fun healthy eating song – sung to the tune of If You’re Happy and You Know It.
- This lively poem is a comic recitation of a variety of meals and dishes and finishes with a word of caution about overeating. Includes teacher’s notes and ideas for discussion points.
- This set of resources developed by British Nutrition Foundation form part of a series of lessons exploring healthy eating – with downloadable resources to support the teaching of cooking!
- This BBC Class Clip examines the children’s food choices in a primary schools. Using props and make-up, they are shown what might happen in the future if they maintain an unhealthy lifestyle.
- This presentation covers food groups, food pyramid, some myths, suggests food label activity and has links for further reference.
Projects and Researching
- A guided exploration of healthy eating, through a series of questions, with suggested websites to investigate the answers.
- A presentation to introduce Year 1 to a healthy eating topic, where pupils design and make a healthy food product suitable for their chosen target audience.
- This is a fun way for pupils to think about making good food choices, incorporating budgeting skills. Pupils will take the part of UK or Zambian families and learn how poverty can affect nutrition.
Projects and Researching
- Three sorting cards to sort food into: eat lots; eat everyday; eat occasionally.
- A 2DIY game, with sound effects, designed by Year 6 children for Year 1 children.
Games, quizzes & miscellaneous fun
- A game with colourful, detailed cards, that’s useful for assessment and revision.
- A set of healthy eating Top Trump cards, to stimulate discussing healthy food choices.
- An amusing, intergalactic parody video. Great to engage pupils on discussion of organic foods and for starting a topic on healthy eating!
- Photos of fruit and vegetables for a lesson on healthy eating.
- A chart to promote healthy eating – ideal to motivate those reluctant fruit-eaters!