World Book Day
Step into a magical world of make-believe on World Book Day (7 March) with our lively collection of teaching resources.
World Book Day is an opportunity to bring witches, dragons, adventures and faraway lands into your classroom and to inspire your pupils to create their own. Light up their imaginations and introduce them to a range of authors from Julia Donaldson to Roald Dahl, Jacqueline Wilson and Michael Morpurgo with these lesson plans and activities shared by teachers, for teachers.
TES will be interviewing authors Malorie Blackman, Simon Mayo and Tony Robinson in the run-up to World Book Day 2013. To find out how you can watch the live webchats?site=aus and send in any questions, visit World Book Day on TES Live
- A fantastic collection of resources based on Julia Donaldson.
- Try this fabulous collection of resources based on Roald Dahl.
- A fantastic resource pack to be used when learning about Vikings, speaking Dragonese and reading the hilarious How to Train Your Dragon books.
- Teachers TV video in which Michael Rosen talks to Children’s Laureate Jacqueline Wilson.
- A two week fantasy world unit that could be extended and used with the session plan for drama.
- Watch and stream webchats?site=aus with WBD authors.
- Chapter-by-chapter comprehension questions based on the book by Eoin Colfer.
- Activities based on the books by Steve Cole.
Key stage 1
- Interactive activity for creating scenes from The Three Little Pigs.
- Simple storybook characters to be used as an aid to story telling.
Key stage 2
- A set of comprehension questions related to chapters of the Butterfly Lion by Michael Morpurgo.
- SoW and booklet to help you teach Kensuke’s Kingdom.
- Resources for all ages to create brand new characters and stories
Key stage 3
- An excellent guide to producing an engaging and informative book review.
- A PowerPoint presentation on the history and importance of books.
Key stage 4
- There’s sure to be something for even the most reluctant of readers with this comprehensive reading list aimed at teenagers.
- Watch a scene from Steven Moffat’s BBC adaptation and explore the character of Sherlock.
Key stage 5
- This resource forms part of the TES English collection on The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald and includes chapter-by-chapter activities.
Official WBD resources
World Book Day is the biggest celebration of books, reading, authors and illustrators of its kind. Find out how you can get involved at www.worldbookday.com to make 7 March 2013 the biggest and best World Book Day yet.