Barton Court Grammar School
Kent, United Kingdom
About Barton Court Grammar School
Barton Court Grammar School is a co-educational 11-18 secondary school situated near the centre of Canterbury, Kent, on a World Heritage Site. The school, which selects from the top 25% of students, has around 850 students on roll, including a sixth form of more than 200.
The main school, a manor house built in 1750, was pressed into use for teaching purposes during the Second World War. In 1945 it became the Girls’ Technical School, with boys being taught in the city hospital building nearby. Barton Court Grammar School became fully co-educational in 1991. Buildings added over time include a language block, new technology classrooms and a state-of-the-art sports hall.
Values and vision
“Support, aspire, achieve” is the motto of Barton Court Grammar School, which aims to ensure that all students develop into well-balanced, articulate, principled and responsible global citizens. Academic excellence, creativity, personal and physical development, independence and enquiring minds are all encouraged. The school tries to build a personal curriculum for its students. At GCSE levels, all students are given the chance to study for the English Baccalaureate qualification.
Barton Court has specialist status in languages.
“The curriculum provides students with numerous opportunities to excel. It is well matched to the needs and interests of the students with a strong focus on the English and International Baccalaureate. A variety of enrichment days and extra-curricular clubs and activities help to make a positive contribution to the students’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural education.”