St Alfege with St Peter's Church of England Primary School
Greenwich, United Kingdom
About St Alfege with St Peter's Church of England Primary School
St Alfege with St Peter's is a small school with a BIG vision. We are proud of our school, serving the community of Greenwich for over 150 years. We are committed to developing every aspect of our children, as demonstrated by our SIAMS report in 2017 where the school was judged to be an Outstanding Church School. Our Christian vlaues underpin our teaching and relationships as we "dream, strive, achieve and celebrate with God as our guide". Our school is situated close to the centre of Greenwich, near the Cutty Sark. The original school was called St Peter's School and was adjoined to St Peter's Church. The main school building dates from 1860 and has been listed by English Heritage as being of historic and architectural interest. The saints in our school name are associated with the history of Greenwich. St Alfege was a much loved and revered Archbishop of Canterbury, who in 1012 was abducted and murdered by invading Danes on the site of St Alfege Church. We were delighted to be involved in the Millenium Pilgrimage to commemorate the martyrdom of St Alfege, and especially to receive a visit from the Archbishop of Canterbury. St Peter’s Church was damaged by a bomb in the second world war and subsequently demolished. In 1951 the parish of St Alfege and St Peter were formerly united. The school changed its name from St Peter's School to St Alfege with St Peter's Church of England Primary School on 24 April 1972.
On 18 September 2017 St Alfege's received its 2017 Gold Accredition for STARS (Sustainable Travel: Active, Responsible, Safe), TfL's accreditation scheme for London schools and nurseries. STARS inspires young Londoners to travel to school sustainably, actively, responsibly and safely by cahmpioning walking, scooting and cycling. STARS supports pupils' wellbeing, helps to reduce congestion at the school gaes and improve road safety and air quality.