The King's School
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
About The King's School
The King's School, Gloucester was one of the seven famous Cathedral Schools established by Henry VIII in 1541. Now it is a successful co-educational independent day school with around 630 pupils, aged three to eighteen, offering academic excellence, a celebrated range of extra-curricular activities and outstanding pastoral care.
With small classes and inspiring teachers, King's School offers a vibrant culture of endeavour and scholarship in the historic setting of Gloucester Cathedral. As a result, the school has a special sense of identity which encourages a moral framework and a powerful feeling of community.
King's School aims to stimulate all pupils to the greatest possible academic, creative and extra-curricular achievement by encouraging the exploration of a wide range of cultural, intellectual and sporting activities. We offer a unique 'Keystones' approach which identifies and develops individual talents and personal qualities.
Aims and Aspirations
The life of the School at all levels is underpinned by our long term aims and aspirations, which represent the key principles on which King's is based.
- The King's School is a co-educational Independent School offering a distinctive education that is firmly based on Christian principles. We welcome into our community boys and girls of all religious faiths and cultures to promote the qualities of tolerance, understanding, compassion and commitment and to encourage young people to think of others, both within and beyond the community of which they are members.
- King's is by choice a medium-sized school with small classes from age 3 to 18, divided into two schools, Junior (ages 3 – 11) and Senior (ages 11 – 18). Since our Foundation in 1541 as a Cathedral School, we have educated the Choristers of Gloucester Cathedral, a role which is central to our ethos.
- To the best of our ability and resources, the School aims to educate young people from a variety of backgrounds, enhancing this capability by the further development of scholarships and bursaries.
- Through the expertise and dedication of our staff, through our facilities, close relationships with the Cathedral, excellent pastoral care and general ethos, we seek to stimulate all pupils to the greatest possible academic, creative and extra-curricular achievement by encouraging the exploration of a wide range of cultural, intellectual and sporting activities.
- Pupils are encouraged to think for themselves and to appreciate the importance of self-discipline. All pupils are treated as individuals, though at the same time they are encouraged to contribute to group work, teamwork and the community as a whole.
- The School is committed to a broad, balanced and well-knit curriculum which is relevant to the needs of its pupils. The curriculum offers scope for individual specialisation where appropriate and is constantly reviewed in the light of developments within the School, nationally and internationally. Innovation is encouraged.
- Whether pupils are of high or average academic ability, the School aims to enable them to develop fully as individuals, to prepare them for responsible adult life and to encourage qualities of initiative and leadership.
- Celebrating achievement is seen as a valued part of the School's success. Pupils' performances in academic life, sport, activities and the performing arts are all recognised in assemblies, in newsletters, on Speech Day, at Junior School Prizegiving and in many other ways.
The teachers make each lesson interesting and fun to create a better way of learning- Pupil
Being at King's really helped my rugby development. With the help and support of all my teachers I have been able to go on and play professionally and at the same time achieve really good academic results. For all this I owe King's a lot ...- Pupil
As a parent of three children who went to The King's School, I recognise what the school's quality of education has meant for their future lives. King's took each of them, all very different from each other, very seriously and provided a solid base of learning and inspired confidence in each of them which prepared them for life in the wider world- Parent
Having our two children at King's is a real privilege and the best decision we ever made. Kings provides the perfect environment for them to develop to their full potential- Parent