The Paragon School, Junior School of Prior Park College
Bath and North East Somerset, United Kingdom
About The Paragon School, Junior School of Prior Park College
The Paragon is an independent, co-educational day school based in a beautiful Georgian house a mile from the centre of Bath. We have eight acres of our own gardens and woodland and also, following our merger with nearby Prior Park College, access to their superb sport, dance and other facilities. Catering for more than 260 children aged three to 11, we offer a broad curriculum taught in small classes by teachers with a real passion for their subject.
We have a Nursery (3 to 4 years), Pre-Prep (4 to 7 years) and Prep (7 to 11 years) departments.
Our Nursery offers a gentle introduction to school life for children aged three and four. It's run by a qualified nursery teacher supported by two experienced nursery assistants. Children attend between three and five mornings a week and can also come in the afternoon if parents and teachers feel this is a good idea.
Children join our Pre-Prep department in the September after their fourth birthday. A dedicated class teacher teaches the core curriculum while French, Music, Games and ICT are taught by specialist teachers. Subject co-ordinators also give additional support when necessary.
When they are seven, children join our Prep department and become a member of one of our four houses - Allen, Brunel, Nash and Wood. Subject divisions become more defined at this stage, with more subjects taught by specialist teachers. Gradually, we help children develop the skills to make a happy and confident start in their senior schools.
The Paragon is part of Prior Park Educational Trust. Registered Charity Number 281242. Registered in England and Wales as a Company Limited by Guarantee No. 1521832. Registered Office at Prior Park College, Bath BA2 5AH. The Chair of Governors is Sister Jane Livesey CJ MA, c/o The Clerk to the Governors, Prior Park College.
The Paragon is a school with a very clear vision and sense of what we stand for. Our aims spell out this vision. They are:
• To be an exciting and dynamic school, in which children acquire a thirst for knowledge and a love of learning.
• To promote the importance of moral, spiritual and social values, inspired by the school's underlying Christian ethos.
• To develop the academic, creative and sporting talents of each child, ensuring a broad and balanced education of the whole person.
• To value every individual's talents and interests, encouraging our children to take pride in their own achievements while also celebrating those of others.
• To be a school that is outward looking - building links with parents and the local community, as well as appreciating the rich diversity of cultures from around the world.
• To be a distinctly happy school where children really feel they belong - where they can laugh, be spontaneous and enjoy being children.
• To enable those leaving The Paragon to move on to Prior Park College or other senior schools as confident, capable, compassionate and independent minded young people.
The Paragon School was founded as a Christian school and the Christian ethos underpins our values and attitudes, both inside and outside the classroom. It's at the heart of who we are and what we do. But, having said this, we warmly welcome children of all faiths - or no faith at all - and are very much an inclusive rather than exclusive school.
Our aim is to help all children distinguish between right and wrong, to develop a sensitivity and awareness of the needs of others and above all, to make them feel loved and valued as a unique human being with their own gifts to offer the world. We use daily assemblies to help children develop a strong moral framework, we say Grace at mealtimes and we encourage children to ask some of the big questions about life in our weekly Religious Education lessons.
"The joy of learning is as indispensable in study as breathing is in running" S Weil