|Location||NEWCASTLE WEST Catholic Schools Office|
|Vacancy Type||Temporary Full Time|
|Description||The Catholic Schools Office (CSO) is seeking a Temporary Full-Time Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island (ATSI) Education Teacher to join the team for 2021. This position will work across St Clare’s High School, Taree (0.6FTE) and St Joseph’s Primary School (0.4 FTE).
The Aboriginal Education Teacher has an important role in supporting Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander students to access Curriculum, and support the well-being of students. The Aboriginal Education Teacher also has a role in mentoring of students, liaising with families and the broader Aboriginal Community, promoting Cultural awareness and responsiveness within the College and coordinating significant events such as NAIDOC Week.
Duties may be varied according to the needs of the school.
|Position Requirements||The Aboriginal Education teacher should be able to demonstrate:
• A relevant understanding of, and a clear commitment to, the philosophy and objectives of Catholic education
• Support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Students:
• Plan and implement literacy and/or numeracy interventions targeted at improving educational outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
• Contribute to cultural knowledge of all students by helping teachers incorporate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives in their classrooms
• Provide professional learning re culturally appropriate human and material resources
• Foster regular school attendance of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
• Promote engagement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students with wellbeing initiatives and support
• Assist students with documentation related to Aboriginal Identify
• Engagement with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families:
• Enable positive transition processes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
• Form partnerships and promote communication with parents of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students – especially in relation to regular school attendance, achievement, and wellbeing
• Encourage parental involvement and support for student learning activities and volunteer programs
• Engagement with the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community and the wider community
• Form partnerships and maintain effective communication and involvement with the local and extended Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community, and with the wider community, to support education, wellbeing and cultural outcomes for students
• Promote, organise, and encourage student engagement in Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander cultural activities throughout the year, e.g. NAIDOC Week
• Actively participate in, and contribute to, planning and development initiatives and meetings involving Aboriginal Education across the Diocese.
The Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle is committed to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults, preventing those in our care from suffering abuse or neglect. The Diocese is committed to being compliant with the National Principles for Child Safe Organisations and the National Catholic Safeguarding Standards. All employees are required to undergo a National Police Check, retain a valid NSW Working with Children Check and ensure compliance with our safeguarding policies, the Diocesan Safeguarding Commitment Statement and the Code’s of Conduct.
|Essential Criteria||• Be appropriately qualified as a four year trained teacher
• Qualifications and/or experience (see below) relevant to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education and/or cultural settings. This is inclusive of being able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures, histories, and contemporary educational issues affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
• Successful applicants must have current accreditation to teach with NESA, which includes successful clearances in regards to Working with Children and Criminal background checks
• The capacity to reflect critically upon professional practice and a commitment to ongoing professional learning which reflects the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers
• Sound interpersonal, organisational and communication skills
• be appropriately qualified as a four year trained primary teacher
• record current NESA and Working With Children number on application.
• evidence of completion of Anaphylaxis training certificate must be supplied. (https://etraining.allergy.org.au/login/index.php)
Note: To start or return to working as a teacher in a NSW school, you must be accredited by NESA.
|Desirable Criteria||• Being Aboriginal or Torres Strait islander is a genuine occupational qualification for this position as described under section 14 (d) of the NSW Anti-Discrimination Act, 1977. In order to ensure this qualification is considered, submission of corroborated acknowledgement of Aboriginality is welcomed.
• Current Senior First Aid Certificate
• Current unrestricted Class C Driver’s Licence
• Experience and expertise working in educational settings with a focus on supporting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
• Established and ongoing links with the local and/or wider Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community
• Evidence of working as an effective team member in an educational setting
|Conditions of Employment||Salary is in accordance with New South Wales & Australian Capital Territory Catholic Systemic Schools Enterprise Agreement 2020.|
|Applications Close||Monday 01 March, 2021|
|Instructions||Forward your Curriculum Vitae together with a covering letter addressing selection criteria via email (preferred) as one pdf to the contact person.|
|Craig Duncan (email@example.com)|
By email (preferred):
|Specific School Requirements/ Additional Info||• Please provide a cover letter (maximum 3 pages) addressing the selection criteria along with your resume and directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants should nominate at least two (2) referees two of whom must be the person's current principal and/or area supervisor or consultant.
• If you are applying as a Graduate Teacher, please provide contact details for your most recent Supervising Teacher. If you are not currently working in a school, please provide your previous supervisor/principal.
• Please ensure you provide out of hours contact details for your referees also, not providing these details can delay the recruitment process.
• *Please note, not adequately addressing the selection criteria may result in your application not being shortlisted*
Catholic Schools Office Maitland- Newcastle