We are the world’s learning company with more than 20,000 employees where we serve people in the community (nearly 200 countries). We combine world-class educational content and assessment, powered by services and technology, to enable more effective teaching and personalised learning at scale. We believe that wherever learning flourishes so do people. At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From shaping lessons of the future, to taking assessment of learning online, we are always re-examining the way people teach, tutor and learn best. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology—and each other to surpass these boundaries—we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
At Pearson, we believe in the power of difference. Harnessing the unique skills, perspectives, and backgrounds of every employee helps us foster innovation and create the most effective solutions for learners around the world. That’s why we’re committed to ensuring that diversity and inclusion are embedded into everything we do. We foster a work environment that’s inclusive and diverse and where our people can be themselves so we can reflect the customers and learners we serve.
Pearson is delighted to be committed to the Race Charter, and to be confirmed by Stonewall in the Top 100 Employers LGBTQ+ in the UK. We are a Disability Confident committed employer and were recognised in the Best Employers for Diversity 2019 awards. We are featured on The Forbes list of Best D&I Employers and are a Working Mums Top Employer and Age Positive employer. Pearson is listed on both the London and New York Stock Exchanges (UK: PSON; NYSE: PSO). We are proud to offer an exceptional and supportive environment to develop your professional career!
You can learn more about our diverse and inclusive culture here: https://pearson.jobs/pearson-life/#diversity
About the team
Pearson’s UK Schools division encompasses a varied portfolio of products and services aimed at school age learners, from Primary through to Secondary school. The departments that make up ‘UK Schools’ include:
- a publishing department that creates digital learning services and printed resources for use by teachers and learners
- the UK’s largest qualifications awarding organisation, offering academic qualifications (Edexcel GCSEs and A Levels) and vocational qualifications (BTECs) that are globally recognised
- world-class marketing, sales and customer support teams who ensure our portfolio of products and services are chosen, understood and used to maximum effect by our customers.
About the role
We are looking for an Advanced Content and Learning Specialist to join our highly successful Secondary English team. This is an exciting time to join the Secondary English team as we look to develop and roll out our next generation of digital services to support teachers and learners. Typical tasks this role will involve include:
- developing your knowledge of customer and learner needs and the Secondary school landscape and applying this knowledge as you develop our products and services
- Working autonomously and as part of a wider team to develop digital educational content that really works in and out of the classroom
- building an in-depth knowledge of our content creation tools and using that knowledge to think creatively about how to best develop our content
- working hands on to brief freelances, authors and suppliers to ensure they manage, edit and proofread materials to meet the needs and learners and teachers
- attending / leading author workshops and managing author relationships to ensure timely delivery of quality manuscript
- reviewing and quality assuring the work of freelances, suppliers and authors to ensure it is fit-for-purpose
- working with colleagues and suppliers to create, challenge and improve team workflows and author writing processes
- creating and maintaining relationships with schools and students to facilitate with the testing and development of our products and services
- leading and supporting more junior members of the team
- assisting the English Product Manager / Publisher to manage our extensive backlist of print and digital products
- assisting the English Product Manager to carry out market research and contributing to development of new business cases.
Who are we looking for?
- someone who is passionate about education and supporting students in making progress in their lives through learning
- someone who would enjoy working with a close team to develop exciting new digital resources as well as a willingness to take responsibility and work autonomously on their given area
- proven organisational, problem-solving and project management skills
- A keen interest in and aptitude for technology, including using digital tools, interpreting data and devising technology-led solutions
- strong editorial skills and experience are critical, including experience of developing digital content ideally in an educational setting.
More great things about working here….
We’ll expect a lot and we know you’ll do great work, so we give a lot back with some of the best benefits in the business. We know that one size doesn’t fit all so our workplace programs meet the different needs of our diverse teams, and their families too. There is a range of options, too many to list here, but when you join you can expect:
- a starting holiday of 25 days increasing to 30, with options to flex up or down
- an annual incentive plan
- generous pension scheme with contributions double-matched by Pearson
- maternity, paternity, and family care leave as well as flexible work policies
- stock purchase options
- health plans, and an employee assistance programme for you and your family, to help balance work, family and personal life.
- great career progression opportunities both in the UK and globally
We are reviewing applications and scheduling interviews regularly, therefore we encourage you to submit your application with an updated CV and cover letter as soon as possible.
Role location: This is currently a remote working position until Summer 2021. Thereafter, the individual assigned will work partially in a UK Pearson Oxford or London office location and partially at home according to the needs of the role.
Wishing you success with your application!
Equal Employment Opportunity
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
London/Oxford -remote working options
- English secondary schools