Grade: Scale 3
Hours: 25 hours per week pro rata
Reporting To: Catering Manager/Cook Supervisor
Department: LBBD Children Services
School: Beam County Primary School
Purpose of the Job
To contribute to the provision of a professional and responsive catering service by assisting the Cook in a range of food ordering, preparation, food service, food storage and domestic duties associated with the delivery of a large scale catering operation. All duties to be carried out to meet all current service and operational related standards; and in compliance with all service related regulations and legislation. (eg. Health & Safety, Hygiene Regulations, Food Safety/Safer Food For Business, Operations Manual, Kitchen Records).
Under the direction of the Cook, the role holder will be required to demonstrate creative skills to resolve routine issues associated in the preparation and serving of food. This will include following and sometimes interpreting guidelines, receipts and other processes required for the delivery of high quality food service provision. The postholder will also deputise for the Cook in their absence and, in some instances under the direction of the Cook, provide limited direction of Food Services Assistants.
- Food Preparation: Assist the Cook, using a range of kitchen equipment and tools, assist in the safe assembly, production, cooking and storage of food. Where appropriate to ensure sufficient food products are made ready for transportation.
- Food Service: Undertake a range of food service duties, ensuring that food is properly portioned and accounted for. All food served is properly registered with the correct child/staff member on the cashless till system. Where directed replenish and maintain all drinks and food counters.
- Kitchen Records/Administration: As Directed by the Cook, assist with routine kitchen administration activities, including monitoring and recording meal sales, keeping records and accounting for all receipts, ordering of stocks and supplies from designated suppliers, checking deliveries, stock received and ensuring stored correctly.
- Product Knowledge: When required to able to provide information relating to menu items and how they are produced, including the main ingredients and basic product knowledge. Advise all service users on the menu items.
- Domestic Duties: Complete cleaning programmes of all of kitchen equipment, service areas, utensils and work surfaces. Undertake domestic duties. Ensure the kitchen and other areas/surfaces are cleaned to the required standards. When required prepare/clean designated areas such as dining halls (eg. setting out/clearing/cleaning tables, chairs, counters/surfaces, cutlery and other pre-requisites for the dining area).
- Other: Where applicable and as directed, complete basic checking of kitchen equipment, tools plants (such as fridges/freezers), reporting breakages and faults to Cook. Contribute to the induction of new staff into the kitchen environment, eg. such as shadowing, occasional technical direction of new, temporary staff. Take responsibility for continuing self-development; participate in training and development activities including undertaking training required to meet service and government standards/regulations. Cover any duties that would fall within the Food Services Assistant role.
- Equality & Diversity: Ensure that services are delivered in accordance with good equalities and diversity practice
- Team Working: Understanding and value the benefits of teamwork and actively contribute. Developing and maintaining co-operative, positive, effective, supportive working relationships within catering services and with service users
- Customer Care: Promote good customer care practices in your work. Provide services that are fair and accessible to all, challenging existing practices that support the traditional culture and promote the Customer First proposition across the cultur
- Compliance: Ensure compliance with appropriate legislation, Council Policies, the Council Constitution, Financial Rules and other requirements of the Council.
- Promote the development of a high quality individual needs led services, to comply at all times with the Council’s policies and procedures, particularly those regarding Data Protection, Equalities and Diversity and Health and Safety.
- Undertake a proactive, committed approach towards the Council’s Best Value ethos.
- Ensure compliance with and actively promote the Council’s Equalities and Diversity policies and strategies.
- Ensure compliance with the Council’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
- Understanding and be familiar with the provisions with Safer Food For Business Standards and other relevant service related regulations, and standards.
- Comply with the competencies and standards requisites agreed by the Council as relevant to your post.
- Comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 (all employees of the Councils will not disclose or make use of, for their private advantage, any information held on manual or computer records, which are not available to the public, however acquired).
The above mentioned duties are neither exclusive nor exhaustive and the postholder may be called upon to carry out such other appropriate duties as may be required by the Line Manager; within the grading level of the post and the competence of the postholder.
To apply please download the application form below this advert.
Closing date: 20 September 2019
Interview date: 24 September 2019
Beam County Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share this commitment. An enhanced (DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) with barred list check is required for all successful applicants. Also, this post is likely to come under the requirements of the childcare (Disqualification) 2009 Regulations and the successful applicant will be required to complete a declaration form to establish whether they are disqualified under these regulations.