Inspire and transform learning with us. We are looking for a Behaviour Lead Mentor to join our strong and supportive academy team.
Harris Academy Orpington opened in September 2016, joining the highly successful Federation of Harris academies in London. We are on our journey to outstanding, we are ambitious and looking forward to an exciting future. We believe that every student can and should achieve their full potential and our commitment is one of ensuring our students develop a love of learning, a passion for enquiry and a dedication to being the
best that they can be. We aim to ensure that every student is inspired and supported to achieve his/her personal best and learning comes first. Our motto is “Together We Can” and if you are interested in joining us, we would be very pleased to meet you.
Main Areas of Responsibility
The purpose of your role will be:
- To lead on the Internal Exclusion/Repair and Restore room
- To be responsible for supervising students internally excluded
- To liaise with the AP for behaviour in relation to students attending the Internal Exclusion Unit and their re-integration back into mainstream lessons
- To liaise with teaching staff to ensure appropriate work is set and appropriate provision is in place
- To liaise with parents/ carers and relevant APs and subject staff to ensure smooth transition to and from internal exclusion
- To be responsible for maintaining a calm and purposeful learning environment whilst in Repair and Restore or Internal Exclusion
- To ensure a calm, quiet and purposeful atmosphere is in the Internal Exclusion/Repair and Restore Room
- To reduce potential permanent exclusion by offering an alternative curriculum which includes rigorous behaviour for learning intervention.
- To carry out administrative tasks for students in Repair and Restore
- To develop links with external agencies to set up a wide range of different behaviour intervention programmes.
- To develop strategies which aim to develop students' mental wellbeing
- To mentor pupils where relevant with behaviour concerns, especially in regard to those on Behaviour Boundary 5 or Behaviour Boundary 6
- To support the consistent implementation of the academy Behaviour for Learning policy.
- To be responsible for the calm and purposeful entrance and exit of students into/out of the academy, this to include organising line-ups where appropriate, ensuring that students enter the building in full academy uniform and if not, following the agreed procedures
- To work with the other members of the behaviour team as a unit to achieve the Academy’s vision for outstanding behaviour.
- To follow through any issues to do with behaviour as required by the academy Leadership Team, for example, taking student statements regarding incidents and passing these on to relevant colleagues.
- To ensure that all issues that relate to student safety such as allegations of bullying are passed on to academy colleagues, in a timely manner, for further investigation as required
Qualifications & Experience
- GCSE Maths and English at grade C or above, or equivalent
- Knowledge of the academy behaviour for learning policy
- Knowledge of the range of barriers to learning that students face
- Training in child protection and safeguarding procedures
- Basic knowledge of first aid; e.g. emergency first aid course
- Two years’ experience of working in an inner-city school or educational establishment
- Experience of dealing successfully with a range of behaviour issues
- Experience of working with staff to ensure excellent behaviour for learning
- Experience of working with families
- Experience of supervising a group of students for detentions, referral and internal exclusion as appropriate
- Experience of working with challenging students and finding ways in which we can meet their needs more successfully
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact us via e-mail, or call to arrange a conversation.
Before applying, please download the Job Pack for full details on the job responsibilities and person specification. You will need this when completing your application.
Please note: we may hold interviews as and when applications are received and we reserve the right to offer to a candidate prior to the closing date. We only accept applications submitted online via our careers website and which are completed before the closing deadline. With this in mind, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible and advise you check the job information as per the listing on our careers site.
Professional Development & Benefits
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.
Harris Academy Orpington
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years
Harris Academy Orpington is an ambitious new academy at the heart of the local community. We support our students as they develop the confidence, work ethic and motivation they will need to thrive as adults.
We combine the traditional values of good ...