Business Studies Teacher for August 2021
The British School, Alexandria seeks applications from enthusiastic, hard-working and talented teachers looking to develop their teaching career in an international setting. We follow the British National Curriculum and you would teach KS4 & 5 Business Studies. You would be joining a strong department with a supportive and committed group of experienced teachers.
The British School, Alexandria is a long-established, high-achieving and forward-thinking 3-18 International School known for its family atmosphere. It enjoys an excellent reputation both within Alexandria and further afield. It is recognised by the DfE and is an accredited member of the Council of British International Schools (COBIS). We have recently had a BSO inspection in which we were described as a “Good school with many outstanding features”. We are committed to ensuring excellent learning and teaching in a caring environment. You will find the school a rewarding and friendly place to work with good relationships between staff and students. We have a strong commitment to the professional development of all our staff.
We are the first and only school in Africa to be honoured with the High-Performance Learning (HPL) accreditation, as well as the first school in Africa to be part of the Fellowship of World Class Schools. We believe in the growth-mindset philosophy of HPL and are enriching our students with the cognitive and attitude tool kit to thrive in an ever-competitive 21st-century global society. We would be seeking to appoint a candidate who has a similar mindset and who understands the importance of modern pedagogical research to inform their delivery of lessons.
Alexandria is a bustling, friendly and cosmopolitan city on the Mediterranean, full of historical interest. Life for teachers is enjoyable with a relatively low cost of living and sufficiently good infrastructure, shops, cafes and restaurants to lead a European lifestyle. Most teachers are able to save at least 60% of their salary and, at the same time, enjoy exploring Egypt. Although in the past Egypt has appeared in the media, you will find that living in Alexandria is in reality similar to living in any other big city with no particular security issues and a strong and stable government.
Honours degree from a UK university or similar in Business or related subject
Qualified Teacher Status / PGCE
Experience of teaching in the British education system either in the UK or in British international schools
Satisfactory Police / DBS checks
At least 2 years’ experience of teaching Business Studies
A British citizen who has been educated in Britain and so has personal experience of the British education system
Terms and Conditions /Advantages
• Very good tax free salary
• Free furnished quality accommodation (excluding utility bills) with sole occupancy within walking distance of the school (minimum 2-bedroom furnished apartment for single teachers and 3-bedroom family accommodation for families) in a very pleasant suburb of Alexandria
• Annual return flights to the UK for teacher, spouse and dependents
• Beginning and end-of-contract baggage allowance
• 2 free school places for dependent children (and 50% for a third child)
• Free health insurance for teacher, spouse and dependents
• Small class sizes (typically 15 students in a class)
• Highly motivated students who want to learn
• Forward-looking British independent international school at the heart of the community with a family atmosphere
• Excellent professional development together with opportunities to take on responsibility
• British international accredited (COBIS and BSME) not-for-profit school for children aged 3-18
• Vibrant north African Egyptian city with excellent opportunities for travel
If you would be interested in joining us, then please visit our website www.bsalex.net for further details and to download an application form. Please e-mail the completed application form together with a brief letter of application, of no more than two sides of A4, to firstname.lastname@example.org and a copy to email@example.com
The initial closing date is 12.00 noon on Friday 16th April 2021. (UK time). In the case of receiving an exceptionally strong application prior to the closing date, we reserve the right to appoint earlier.
Single teachers or married couples (with or without children) are welcome to apply.
The British School, Alexandria is committed to all aspects of safeguarding.
The British School, Alexandria
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years
We have recently celebrated our 35th Anniversary and continue to be one of the leading schools in Alexandria and the surrounding area. We have close links with the British Embassy - our Patron is Her Britannic Majesty's Ambassador to Egypt. &nb...