Careers and University Guidance Counsellor (% teaching is required)
About Nord Anglia Education
Nord Anglia Education is the world’s leading premium schools organisation, with campuses located across 27 countries in the Americas, Europe, China, Southeast Asia and the Middle East. Together, our 56 schools educate more than 51,000 students from kindergarten through to the end of secondary / high school. We are driven by one unifying philosophy: we are ambitious for our schools, students, teachers, staff and communities, and we inspire every child who attends a Nord Anglia Education school to achieve more than they ever imagined possible.
About our school
The British International School Bratislava is at the forefront of international education in Slovakia. Established in 1997 for students aged 2-18, our school is recognised for academic excellence leading to outstanding IB results and entry to top universities worldwide. Our facilities are designed to support learning, and include a wide range of performing arts and sports amenities to develop the whole child and foster a love of learning amongst our students. To learn more about our school, please visit http://www.nordangliaeducation.com/our-schools/bratislava
Each Nord Anglia Education school is unique in character and designed to meet the needs of its community. We are united by our philosophy, to be ambitious for our students, our people and our family of schools. We believe that being part of our family of 56 schools gives them a special advantage. Working together, we can achieve more than we can individually. Our schools have access to a wide range of resources and support to enhance their success. We also create unique opportunities to benefit our students and people, such as the Global Campus, Nord Anglia University, and our collaborations with The Juilliard School, MIT, UNICEF and King’s College London.
About the role
The Careers and University Counsellor will support students in all aspects of the university application process and careers education in order to ensure they are well informed and prepared for the next stage of their education and future careers. The willingness to be an effective team player and work closely with colleagues, students and parents is essential. The successful candidate should have excellent communication, organisational and classroom management skills meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
Main Purpose of Job
To support our students by providing e¬ffective advice during all stages of the higher education application process and to help to prepare students for fulfilling future employment.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To provide guidance to students at all stages of the universities application process
- With the assistance of colleagues, to support students with applications to prestigious universities
- To coordinate or deliver careers advice and guidance and university preparation, as appropriate, through one to one guidance interviews, group sessions, tutorials, workshops and presentations at parents’ evenings
- To organise university-related trips, visits and guest speakers
- To provide skills development, including interview skills, job search, networking and making applications through a variety of platforms and by using links with parents, Alumni and colleagues
- Developing and recommending careers guidance and employment information and materials, and ensuring that they are available in a variety of formats (i.e. self-help guidance/handouts online career hubs)
- Establishing, promoting and maintaining eff¬ective links with staff¬ in key areas, industries and universities
- Involvement with the planning, organisation and implementation of the annual Universities and Careers Fairs and other related events throughout the year
About you (see full Job description)
It is expected that the successful candidate has considerable knowledge, experience and expertise in supporting students applying to universities in the UK and the USA; therefore, current and prior experience of successful application processing to the UK and USA is essential. Candidates must also demonstrate a strong interpersonal, communication and organisational skills and will be able to respond effectively to the needs of a diverse student body, keen to collaborate and share your specialist expertise, you will be a fitting ambassador for the school. You will communicate with confidence across diverse audiences and situations, using your expertise to build strong relationships with parents and students.
Candidates should also illustrate a capacity to help students achieve their absolute best as part of a team, a proactive commitment to the pastoral care and wellbeing of our learners, and a willingness to contribute to the thriving extra-curricular life of our school.
Key tasks and responsibilities
We are seeking a professional who:
- Is well-qualified (degree, PGCE or equivalent careers/ university qualification) and has relevant UK curriculum experience (2 years minimum experience is essential).
- Enjoys a professionally-stimulating environment.
- Promotes a well organised and inspiring learning environment.
- Offers enthusiasm and demonstrates a positive approach to students.
- Is comfortable integrating technology into all teaching practices.
- Is committed to constant improvement in all aspects of school life.
- Is reflective and continually strives to improve performance.
- Understands the value of consistent application of school policies.
You must also hold a European or UK passport to comply with Slovak residency permit requirements.
When you join a Nord Anglia Education school, you join a global community of more than 10,000 people working together to support our students’ success. We offer you unsurpassed opportunities to innovate and develop best practice across our family, to access extensive professional development, and to gain exceptional experience and career development in our schools. At Nord Anglia, you will have opportunities to progress more, learn more, and collaborate more.
We offer career and development opportunities that come with being part of our global organisation. Nord Anglia University unites our team through a vibrant online platform which harnesses the collective expertise of their peers in an exchange of knowledge, ideas and best practice. We also provide extensive online and face-to-face professional development through Nord Anglia University to ensure that our teachers don’t just maintain their skills, they develop at the cutting edge of educational thinking.
Our collaborations with The Juilliard School, MIT, UNICEF and King’s College London, offers our teachers unrivalled access to leading experts in their fields. We also offer selected candidates from our staff worldwide an opportunity to earn their Executive Master’s in International Education in an exclusive collaboration with King’s College London.
Alongside great training and a competitive package, you will enjoy the chance to live and work in one of the worlds' most vibrant cities.
As a Nord Anglia Education teacher, you enjoy the following benefits:
- A fast-paced, global experience so that you can progress on a global scale
- An enabling environment founded on creativity, challenge and collaboration
- A culture which is fair and consultative
- Unique opportunities to grow professionally and develop your career
The closing date for application is Monday, 17th December 2018.
Start Date: August 2019
At Nord Anglia Education we are committed to providing a world class, safe, happy environment in which children and young people are able to thrive and learn. We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all our pupils irrespective of race, ability, religion, gender or culture.
All post holders in regulated activity (having regular unsupervised contact with children) are subject to appropriate national and international vetting procedures including satisfactory criminal record checks from both Country of residence/birth and any Country of residence within the last 10 years.