Tenure: Permanent, Full-Time (shift-pattern)
Surbiton High School is part of united Learning, a large and growing group of schools aiming to offer a life changing education to children and young people across England. Schools within United Learning work as a team and achieve more by sharing than any single school could. Our intranet site, United Hub, is just one example of how we share resource and communicate across sites, helping to simplify work processes and manage workloads for an improved work-life balance. We reward our staff: with good career opportunities, better pay, benefits, and ultimately the satisfaction of supporting schools in their quest to give every child the opportunity to succeed and reach their full potential.
Early applications welcome. We will review applications and invite applicants to interview on a rolling basis.
Prime Function: The caretaker will be part of the caretaking team and provide caretaking and maintenance services to all buildings and grounds forming the school site, assisting to ensure a safe and secure environment.
Reporting Line: Facilities Manager
Context: Surbiton High School is on 11 sites: The main Senior School; a purpose built Sixth Form; Girls’ Preparatory School; Boys’ Preparatory School; Surbiton Assembly Rooms; Mary Bennett House; Charles Burney House; a thirty-three acre Sports Ground at nearby Hinchley Wood; Oaken Lane Sports Grounds; The Boat House on at Trowlock Way and the Boarding House.
- Assist with ensuring the security of the School premises and its contents, both in term time and school holidays, including routine and non-routine (e.g. emergencies), opening and closing and during lettings, reporting any emergencies outside own areas to the relevant line managers
- Ensure access for emergency services to site and assist as requested
- To be on call for emergencies
- To investigate system failures in heating, lighting, water, sewerage, and electric circuits, and to make minor repairs where appropriate, and in consultation with the Facilities Manager to bring in appropriate contractors when necessary.
- To keep records of supplies, monitoring use and re-ordering in consultation with the Facilities Manager.
- To assist with keeping an inventory of tools and power equipment and ensure they are kept in good repair in line with current legislation.
As necessary, to check and keep register of all fire equipment e.g. extinguishers, smoke detectors, heat detectors, bells and press buttons, hose reels, dry/wet risers and hydrant points. Liaise with the fire brigade when routine maintenance is carried out on these.
The successful candidate will be likely to fit the following profile:
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Reliability and integrity.
- Ability to take responsibility.
- Be able to carry out general repairs and maintenance to a high standard.
- Be computer literate.
- Have practical knowledge of vehicle and machinery maintenance.
- Experience of driving a minibus preferable, with D1 or equivalent plus a clean driving licence
First Aid (training could be offered)
Surbiton High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Please note that the School reserves the right to appoint at any stage during the recruitment process.
For any queries relating to the role or your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this role, please visit https://unitedlearning.current-vacancies.com/Jobs/Advert/1159387?cid=1567
Where support is better shared
United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12. Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB.