We are looking for a a Guidance Counsellor to address the social, emotional and behavioural needs of our students as part of the Student Support team. This post will focus mainly on students in the primary phase. In addition to working with vulnerable individuals and groups, we wish to develop preventative programmes that will support wellbeing and develop resilience. You will have a background in working with children, ideally in a school setting and an appropriate qualification. You will need to work collaboratively with the secondary counsellor whose focus is more on careers and university preparation
About the School
Myanmar International School (MIS) is a well-established Cambridge Curriculum school in Yangon, formerly Rangoon, the capital of Burma. Situated near picturesque Inya Lake and the country’s most modern shopping mall, MIS offers an attractive environment for teachers looking for an opportunity in South East Asia. With a roll of 720 aged from 3-18, classes are capped at 20 students and are often smaller with a level of resources comparable to schools in the UK or North America. Parents are highly supportive and our students are hardworking, respectful and enthusiastic. Our talented teachers come from the UK, USA and other English speaking countries. Myanmar is developing fast and yet it retains much of the lifestyle, tradition and culture that has perhaps been lost elsewhere in the region. Yangon is a safe and peaceful place to live and work.
Above all, we want to recruit inspirational and committed professionals who work well with colleagues and who have the resilience to see life in a developing country as an exciting challenge.
Experience of counselling children, ideally in a school setting
What we offer you
· Two-year renewable contract
· A competitive salary with significant savings potential. The cost of living in Yangon is estimated to be 60% lower than that of London. https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/london/yangon?
· Annual salary increments
· Sole occupancy of a school apartment for the first year with the option of a housing allowance thereafter.
· Visa expenses, including costs of overnight renewal trips to Bangkok.
· Excellent health insurance
· Flights to and from your point of origin at the start and end of your contract
· Opportunities for professional development