We are seeking to appoint a Cover Supervisor to join our innovative team from September 2021 to work within our high performing Academy. This is a fixed term role until 31st August 2022.
Harris City Academy Crystal Palace is a mixed Academy for 1,300 students aged 11-18, with a large sixth form of over 350 students. The Academy has three consecutive Outstanding judgments by Ofsted, with the most recent inspection in 2014 finding the Academy to be Outstanding in every aspect. We are a consistently high performing school; in 2019, our progress 8 score was 0.61, 94% of our students achieved a 4+ in English and 86% in maths. Our motto, ‘All Can Achieve’ encapsulates our vision that all members of the Academy community are supported and encouraged to achieve their absolute potential.
Main Areas of Responsibility
- To supervise groups of students working independently in subjects across the curriculum;
- To take the register in the first ten minutes and to follow-up any truancy concerns with SSC;
- To support students to complete the work set to the best of their ability, engaging in the lesson materials with enthusiasm;
- To feedback to the Cover Supervisor Officer any causes for concern, this could include the quality or appropriateness of cover work set, alternatively this could be the about student engagement levels etc;
- Ensuring students follow the Academy behaviour for learning policy;
- Responding for urgent requests for cover during the Academy day;
- Supervising Post 16 students as requested;
- Invigilating examinations where necessary, including the organising and setting up of exam materials and equipment;
- Supervising students in the Holding Room/Inclusion;
- Setting up and preparing cover work;
- Supporting teaching staff in lessons, as directed;
- Any other administration work as directed by the Principal’s PA;
- Undertaking AM / PM duties / lunch time duties and any other duties as requested.
- Under the direction of the Academy Leadership Group, undertake such other tasks that may be required to further the efficient running of the Academy, commensurate with the level of the post holder;
- To participate in Academy trips/visits when requested;
- To support in central administration whenever required;
- To assist with student filing;
- To assist with first aid (when trained);
- To be responsible for own professional development, identifying training needs and requesting courses as appropriate.
Qualifications & Experience
- Educated to A Level standard or equivalent
- Knowledge of Microsoft software
- Knowledge of the legal and organisational requirements for maintaining the health, safety and security of yourself and others in the learning environment
- Knowledge of SEN Code of Practice
- Knowledge of strategies to recognise and reward efforts and achievements towards self-reliance that are appropriate to the age and development stage of the students
- Basic knowledge of first aid; e.g. emergency first aid course.
- Basic knowledge of ADHD and other learning barriers
- Two years' experience of working in an inner city school or educational establishment
- Experience in a similar role
- Experience of supporting children in a classroom environment
- Experience of using Information Technology to support students in the classroom
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact us via e-mail, or call to arrange a conversation.
Before applying, please download the Job Pack for full details on the job responsibilities and person specification. You will need this when completing your application.
Please note: we may hold interviews as and when applications are received and we reserve the right to offer to a candidate prior to the closing date. We only accept applications submitted online via our careers website and which are completed before the closing deadline. With this in mind, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible and advise you check the job information as per the listing on our careers site.
Rewards & Benefits
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.
Harris City Academy Crystal Palace
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years
Harris City Academy Crystal Palace opened as Harris CTC in 1990 and converted to an academy in September 2007. The academy is a mixed school for 1,300 students aged 11-18 recruiting students from Croydon, Bromley, Lewisham, Southwark and Lambeth. The...